After BSOD and new HDD install, BIOS doesn't detect HDD.

Mercier

Reputable
May 28, 2014
I have an Asus G53S gaming laptop that I absolutely love. Recently I came back to my room and it displayed the BSOD, and upon restarting, I had the "Reboot and Select proper boot device" message. I was completely fine with reinstalling Windows, but Windows setup didn't detect the drive, nor did BIOS. It came with two 500 GB HDDs, so I swapped them thinking that it was unlikely that they both went bad at the same time, but still had no success. Eventually I purchased a new 1TB Western Digital HDD, and after installing, BIOS detected the drive, but Windows Update still didn't. Now BIOS doesn't see this one, either. I've tried reconnecting the ribbon to the motherboard, also inspecting the drive and ribbon for damage but found nothing. I've reseated the drive, and updated BIOS to the most current version. I even tried using an external to install Windows on but that's still a project. (BIOS sees anything plugged into USB ports, along with my disc drive.)

I would be more than willing to provide any more information that you guys request, and I appreciate the help.

popatim

Titan
With having had 2 drives in it previously: the sata controller may be in Raid mode and you would need to change it to ahci for just a single drive.

Personally if it were in raid mode, I would power it of and reinstall the two original drive, thne power up into the raid bios (you'll see the prompt for it just after the press Del to enter the bios message. Often its ctrl+i) and then see if you can rebuild or recreate the raid array.

Mercier

Reputable
May 28, 2014
In BIOS the only two options I have in SATA config are IDE and SATA, and Ctrl+I does nothing on boot. I have the latest BIOS version (209) for my mobo.

Update: I've tested all of my HDDs in another laptop and they all boot normally, with all files intact.