Question 2 of my 4 RAM sticks aren't working after cleaning the motherboard ?

Travanj

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
Asus Prime B450m-A
Ryzen 5 2400G
2x Ram A: 2666mhz 15-17-17 (A1/B1)
2x Ram B: 2666mhz 16-18-18 (A2/B2)

So I cleaned my Mobo because it was gathering dust. I've pretty much used this setup for almost 2years now with no problem (it was that long since I last cleaned it). So I removed everything and put it back. To my surprise, it wasn't booting up. I tried to pinpoint what could be the problem and ended up with the ram sticks.

Suddenly after returning it, 2 of my rams sticks aren't working so I only have one of Each Ram A&B. Also these are my findings:

Here is my findings:

Ram A: 2666mhz 15-17-17
Ram B: 2666mhz 16-18-18

If I combine 2xRAM A, it doesn't boot.

If I combine 2x RAM B, it doesn't boot

If I combine 1xRamA and 1xRamB, it boots. (the working ones)

Placing 2 rams on DIMM_A1/B1 and on DIMM_A2/B2 doesn't work. Placing rams on A1/B1 or A2/B2 works (still using the working rams only)

I've also tested the rams individually and 1 of each RAM A and RAM B is suddenly totally not working when it was working before I pulled them out for ckeaning

I've reset CMOS and even tried to manually change the ram profiles manually to match them but my other two ram stick are totally suddenly not working.

What did you use to clean your motherboard? I only ever "clean" my more delicate PC parts with compressed air (basically anything on a PC board like a motherboard or video card). The only time I ever use any kind of solvent cleaner is when I'm removing thermal paste from CPUs and/or CPU heatsinks. I use glass cleaner for that (like Windex) and even then, I spray it onto a paper towel and clean the CPU heat spreader very gently. It also works on exposed dice and gives them a beautiful streak-free reflective surface. I used it to clean the Llano A8-3500M in an old craptop that I still use as a media centre.

Before anyone in the Peanut Gallery who thinks that only "special" cleaners should be used for this says anything, I've been cleaning thermal paste off of CPUs and heatsinks with glass cleaner for over two decades and have never had any problems with it. I first did it with my Pentium-4 and it worked so I've used it ever since (Pentium-4, Core2Duo, Phenom II X4 940, Phenom II X4 965, FX-8350, R7-1700, R5-3600X, R7-5700X, R9-3900X, R7-5800X3D). If you're using something other than regular glass cleaner, you're literally pissing your money away.

Having said that, I wouldn't dream of using any kind of liquid cleaner on a motherboard, RAM, expansion board or M.2 SSD. If you did, you might have shorted something or damaged it. The fact that it only started having issues after you cleaned it isn't a good sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: artk2219