Question I need immediate help with an unidentified issue - - - - looking for possible causes & solutions ?

cade_777

Commendable
Aug 31, 2021
Just to give some background detail about this story, I will provide some history before getting into my current issue. About a half year ago, I attempted to finish my building my new PC build (all components of this new build are below for reference). For my CPU to be detected, my MOBO needed a BIOS update out of the box. However, my MOBO would never complete the update even after hours of waiting. I called MSI and was advised just to shut down the computer and send the MOBO to RMA for a replacement.

Unfortunately, I was given a refurbished MOBO as a replacement for a MOBO that was delivered corrupt. When I got my new MOBO, I attempted the BIOS flash again. This time it was successful. Got to the the end of the build, and the CPU cooler would not work. Exact same story as the MOBO (I was sent a refurbished one back). At last, I finally received working parts to complete my build. It has been about two months since I have had this up and running. Now, on to the issue I am faced with now.

I am normally a mouse and keyboard player on almost all games. However, I have been dabbling in Rocket League recently in which I use a controller. I cannot say plugging in a controller is the definitive cause of this issue, but I can say that this issue has only occurred when a controller is plugged into my PC. This may not be the cause of the issue at all, but I wanted to mention that a controller being plugged into my case has been consistent throughout every experience.

Randomly when playing, almost all of my peripherals will just shut off. First, my computer speakers will stop playing all audio. Then, the mouse, keyboard, and controller will all shut off. After my mouse, keyboard, and controller turn back after roughly 20-40 seconds, all of the RGB in my computer will turn off entirely. Then, my fans return to their default (out-of-box) color. After a little, all of my lights return back to their set color. However, the weird thing is that my computer speakers do not return to working. They are still chosen as my audio output device in my system, but they do not play any audio. I have to restart my computer to get them to work again.

The same thing occurs when wearing a headset, but the headset has came back on after a while unlike the speakers. Another oddity, my monitors never turn off. This problem is not consistent. It occurs randomly. Some days it does not happen, and other days I have experienced it more than once. I would appreciate any possible solutions or causes of this wild issue. Anything is appreciated, thanks so much!

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X3D
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i ELITE LCD XT 65.57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
MB: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
GPU: MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Fans: Lian Li Uni Fan SL-Infinity

Hey there,

Just to be clear, the first mobo was purchased new? If so, I would get back on to MSI and tell them under no circumstances will you accept a refurbed device after paying for a new one. RMA the mobo immediately and only accept a new motherboard matching the one you originally got.

There is no way I would accept a refurbed device.

As a side note: Did you clear CMOS after the bios update? You need to do this to completely rule out an incomplete bios update as the issue.