Question After cloning (wint EaseUS) my W10 my PC won't boot

Jul 9, 2019
I tried to clone my Windows 10 to a bigger disk for safe keeping but after the cloning (with EaseUS software) completed I wasn't able anymore to access any of the drives and my PC is in an autorepair-loop...
What can I do next? I tried a bit of CMD commands to try and fix the bootloader but from CMD there seems to be just a singe volume/partition on my source disk (the cloned one is removed)...
I have some programs with settings that took me a lot to configure so I would prefer to skip a fresh Windows install or a repair-upgrade that would reset everything and delete my programs too!

Jul 9, 2019
and how many drives do you have?
full system spec?
For the moment there is just one internal m.2 drive (installed, it says 111GB, the "source") and an external 1Tb SATA drive (that is un-mounted for the moment, the one that I used for cloning, "the target").
It's an i5 gen 8th with gtx 1050 and 8Gb DDR4.
It's a Lenovo PC... I'm not sure what mobo does it have... what other info would interest you?

Jul 9, 2019
Well... anybody?
As I did mentioned, the System Reserved partition is missing...
Any way that I could run into Windows Repair/Recovery to fix it?
The entire HDD has just one partition and no unallocated space... I resized the partition at the end last evening and gave another try to repair from the Windows USB bootable drive (one I made with the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft)...
Should that unallocated space be at the begining of the hard drive? Would Windows then be able to apply a fix?
As I said, I already tried the commands active (diskpart) and bootrec (in the windows partition, not on the unallocated space) from CMD... no go.
I tried a recovery data and it did find some folders deleted... that look like the System Reserved Partition... and I copied those files in the partition I created last evening... didn't worked...
I feel I'm close but something's missing/skipping...

Any clues?

Jul 9, 2019
You can not boot from externally connected clone to external drive.
Not quite sure, what you're trying to accomplish there.
I can't boot at all!

So... I had 3 hard drives...
Internal M.2 with installed Windows 10. I wanted to have it backed up so I thought... CLONE IT (the source).
So I needed a second HDD (No.2) as an target.
I thought... what if I run the cloning from another hdd that was working... so there is HDD (No.3) with Windows installed in order to run the cloning.

F12... select boot menu to start from HDD3.
Used EaseUS software for cloning. (and yes, now I know I shuld have used migrate OS and not clone... I did somethin' stupid)

Now It won't boot from either the M.2 (the source I needed cloned) or the HDD 2 (the target)...

I need it to work from the M.2 (and it used to work before this stupid cloning or whatever I did stupid)...

So how can I get back a working windows on the M.2? It shows 111GB on the entire drive and all is occupied by the Windows partition, there is no unallocated space before or after the Windows partition...
I ran a recovery data and it did found on this partition something that should look like the System Reserved partition... I tried to make a 600Mb unallocated space at the end of the Windows Partition... i set that as primary and allocated a letter so I could copy whatever was in the System Reserved recovered files I mentioned above...
After this I tried to run the Windows from M.2 normally... no go.
Tried with the USB windows repair.... with CMD and bootrec /rebuildbcd, fixmbr and fixboot but it's failling at the fixboot command....

I hope I made the things a bit more clear now...

Jul 9, 2019
Firstly, a full Clone is a poor choice for a backup routine.

Moving on....if you return the system back to original condition, does it boot up?
Remove all these other drives, and have it as it was originally.
  1. I know, stupid move with cloning.
  2. I tried to go back back with just the (previously working) M.2 (HDD 1, all other HDDs were un-mounted) but it goes into an auto-repair loop withouth being able to fix anything...

Last edited:
So ... summary...
You have:
PC is Lenovo desktop (what model?)​
M.2 drive 120GB - windows 10 (what model?)​
external HDD #1 - clone target (1TB, what model hdd?)​
internal HDD #2 - boot for cloning​
(what version of windows? was windows installed on a different pc? what model/capacity hdd?)​

You booted from HDD #2, tried cloning. Now system won't boot from M.2.
Am I getting this right?

Please edit your initial post to include all this info.

Now - to address your issue with booting from M.2. - a bit of diagnostics is necessary.

Please disconnect all drives, leave only M.2.
Boot from windows 10 installation media.

Execute these commands and post photo of command output
(use imgur.com to upload your image).
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
detail disk

TRENDING THREADS