After dusting GPU stopped being recognized with fan stuck at %100

tole

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
The odd thing is I didn't touch the GPU, I was cleaning out the PSU grill. I unplugged the machine, unscrewed the PSU, cleaned the grill, screwed it back on and plugged it in.

At boot the GPU fan started at %100 and there was no video, so I plugged the monitor into the motherboard and I had this error that the amd graphic driver couldn't be loaded and gave the option to 'cancel' (do nothing) or 'reset' so I clicked reset (did nothing) then I tried reinstalling the driver which also did nothing.

this is my build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/tole/saved/1HKy

So what you have done is taken all the power leads that connect to the motherboard via the Psu, unscrewed it cleaned it then placed it back in the tower.
And forgot to connect the 6 pin 12v Pcie power plug to the back edge of the Ati 6870 graphics card. Go have a check.

tole

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012

Didn't touch any of the connectors, only unscrewed the PSU to get to the grill underneath and left all the cables connected. The PSU never fully left the case I only moved it about an inch or two.

Also, I tried both of the 6 pin connectors on both of the slots, the only thing I haven't tried is putting both of them in at the same time.

System browser on the motherboard doesn't even recognize that the PCI slot is being used

tole

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012

I tried it in a different machine with no change, although the PSU was only 430w so I'm not sure if that would have been enough

At this point I'm considering just starting a ticket with sapphire and hope the warranty covers it

edit: Just a thought but what if I connect 2 6pin connectors to the card?

tole

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
Plugging in the 2nd 6pin connector worked...so I guess it is a PSU issue. Before this happened I was only using 1 6pin connector.

Does anyone konw why it suddenly need two and will I need a new PSU or will it be fine the way it is?

tole

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012

I was convinced that using both would fry it, nothing in the instructions ever said to use both and it does talk about crossfire quite a bit so I assumed that both connectors are meant for a crossfire build. Plus it works perfectly with just 1.

I also noticed that the fan speed reset to the default 31% where as before it started at 50% (which was because of speedfan).