After failed upgr reboot, "Not Real Windows"

Nunyabidniss

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
I bought an SSD, and cloned my Win7 to it and tried to do the upgrade. Gave me an error code C1900204 and just said "Installation Failed." I tried 2x more to D/L, same result.
When I rebooted, it took a looong time, then came back and said I didn't have a valid Windows product...and I can't even log into my desktop!
Now...I've backed up everything to my 3Tb external, and I got back online using my OLD drive, but before I try and upgrade AGAIN and fail, only for Windows to tell me on my SECOND drive it's not valid, whether anyone's got any suggestions?
I HAVE verified the ProgramFilesDir registry key is pointing to C:\Program Files AND I am (almost?) positive I DO have a valid product...I mean...I couldn't have activated it if it wasn't valid, right?

Appreciate the help, as always!

jdlech

Honorable
May 31, 2016
1 thing at a time.
First, it's probably best if you revert back to your original hardware configuration and restore windows from your backups.
Make sure everything works right.
Then, since time is very short, you should upgrade to w10 right from there.
And then make sure it's all working.
Then port everything over to SSD.
And then make sure it all works.

Trying to do multiple things at once does save time and effort - when it works. But when it doesn't work, it really complicates troubleshooting. It's often quicker and easier to go back to the beginning and start over doing one thing at a time.

RE: activation. It depends on where and how you got it. If I recall, W7 product key was right on the computer properties screen. Just right click on 'My Computer', and then click on 'Properties', and it's right there near the bottom.
But you would have to restore W7 from your backups to see it.
I downloaded W10 installation and put it on CD. Then I wrote my old key onto the CD so nothing like this could happen.

USAFRet

Titan

No, that's not the license key. That is the Product ID...the SKU, or model number
The license key is more like a serial number.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, it might have. Sometimes it takes a bit for the activation servers to catch up.

In any case, the only entity that can verify that license key is Microsoft. Either the phone robot or talk to a human.

Nunyabidniss

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015

On the My Computer Properties, it says Activated, and has the "Genuine" sticker on the right.

Nunyabidniss

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015

(I pressed best answer in error)
So, I've had my Win 7 activated for YEARS on my HDD. I used Macrium (suggested in this forum) to clone the drive to my new SSD. Which I did, and it has functioned as well as my HDD did. BUT, when I did the upgrade, at the end it said Install Failed. I tried 2x more, same error. I rebooted to the SSD, at which point it said, Not a Valid Product.

Nunyabidniss

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
I had BOTH the HDD and the SSD attached, the SSD as C:\ and the HDD as D:\
Downloaded from the upgr site, 2x, failed each time. Upon reboot, the SDD drive wouldn't boot cuz was "Not Valid Windows."
I'm back on the HDD now, and just a moment ago I tried to log on with the HDD as C: and the SSD as D: but Windows still thought I had a bad copy, so I unplugged the SSD and booted to the HDD...

USAFRet

Titan

Assuming it boots from the HDD by itself, and given the Win 10 time constraints...
Which is more important? Booting from the SSD or the free Upgrade to Win 10?