After launching a game/browsing the net (sometimes) PC freezes, only a black screen can be seen.

Stefan_65

Reputable
Jun 4, 2017
So, i don't know much about PC's but i think that the GPU has something to do with this problem.
First it started when i was playing World of Tanks, the game would stop and i would be kicked to desktop. I though it was due to something being pressed at the same time, so i didn't think it was anything serious.
Then a few days ago while playing games the screen would go black and a constant buzzing noise can be heard. I cant to anything at that point but restart the PC.
It also started to happen while im browsing the internet but after pressing ALT+F4 to exit the browser i get an error message saying : "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" .
I have tried updating the drivers, lowering the Core clock, memory clock, and core voltage with MSI Afterburner, which helped a little bit (now it doesn't black screen when i'm browsing).
I don't knot what to do.

PC:

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Kentsfield 65nm Technology
RAM
6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 533MHz (8-8-8-20)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. G41MT-S2 (Socket 775)
Graphics
Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1440x900@60Hz)
1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (ATI)
Storage
149GB Western Digital WDC WD1600AAJS-22PSA0 ATA Device (SATA)
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
VIA High Definition Audio

Solution
It sounds like your GPU could be aging and starting to break down. In fact, the hardware described indicates you have an old computer overall, which is okay when you keep it maintained and clean out the dust within, but the components will break eventually.

When the driver "has stopped responding and has recovered," the system detected it wasn't working for a couple of seconds and restarted it. It appears the card's getting a heavy load that it couldn't process, hence why it happens when you're playing a game or browsing the internet (certain actions such as watching an online video can create that load.)

How old is your GPU? The 4800 series was released back in 2008-09, and there are new, more powerful options since. Perhaps...

Matthew V

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
It sounds like your GPU could be aging and starting to break down. In fact, the hardware described indicates you have an old computer overall, which is okay when you keep it maintained and clean out the dust within, but the components will break eventually.

When the driver "has stopped responding and has recovered," the system detected it wasn't working for a couple of seconds and restarted it. It appears the card's getting a heavy load that it couldn't process, hence why it happens when you're playing a game or browsing the internet (certain actions such as watching an online video can create that load.)

How old is your GPU? The 4800 series was released back in 2008-09, and there are new, more powerful options since. Perhaps it's time to research what's compatible and shop around for a new card, if you don't want a new computer.

EDIT: There's also the possibility of overheating within the computer as well, with either the CPU, the GPU, or both. Make sure fans are working and temperatures aren't going abnormally high. Does your CPU use coolant? When was that last replaced? If dust has built up within your computer, make sure to clean it out.

Solution

Matthew V

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
Sadly, I don't think I can give you the best answer. There are a lot of different cards, and cost is one issue - the cryptocurrency craze made prices rise a lot in recent months.
There's also the issue of making sure it's compatible with your system. If you can find a friend or professional that knows about putting computers together, I recommend seeking them out. I can give a few tips however.

Make sure of these things before buying the card:
1. Make sure the card is compatible with your motherboard.
2. Will it fit in the PC? Check out your current card, see how long it is, and figure out what can fit.
3. Can the PSU support it? (That is your power supply - I didn't see it in your list, but that's something to consider. Check how many watts your PSU can supply; some cards (though usually higher-end) demand more power).

As I mentioned, this will require some research. You need to make sure what you need before you buy it.

In the meantime, if you haven't done so yet, I recommend cleaning out dust within the computer, and check your fans and CPU coolant. That will assure overheating isn't making things worse.