After Lawsuit, Apple Evaluating If It Should Share More Cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Once again the shareholders thinking with their pockets!!! Good on Apple to snub their noses at these requests. Shareholders have no idea how the day to day operations of a company run, they are more concerned about large margins than the health of a company. Make their 500% return and then on to the next company as they try to suck the other company dry! I see it happen all the time at the company I work at. Making billions hands over fists and at the same time complaining how the margins are thin and they need to answer to the shareholders thus cut, cut , CUT!

Kudos to Apple on this front.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Mr. Stockholder, I don't like Apple's business practices but they know how to do this and do it very well... MAKE MONEY! Y u complain?

G

Why do they need investors when they have $137 billion in cash, buy them out and go private? im not into finance so i could be missing something but...

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
Meanwhile, Bill Gates is giving billions of dollars of money to charity, much of which is out of his own pocket...

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Abion47[/nom]Meanwhile, Bill Gates is giving billions of dollars of money to charity, much of which is out of his own pocket...[/citation]

well I would certainly hope he's not giving other people's money away. That kinda defeats the point of charity ;)

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]Abion47[/nom]Meanwhile, Bill Gates is giving billions of dollars of money to charity, much of which is out of his own pocket...[/citation]
I'm no Microsoft ass-kisser, but Between it & Bill/Malinda it has done more things in a decade than Apple has done for the past 30 years.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Madjimms[/nom]I'm no Microsoft ass-kisser, but Between it & Bill/Malinda it has done more things in a decade than Apple has done for the past 30 years.[/citation]

Apple's given you the modern version of the smartphone and tablet (yes, they didn't invent them, but without the iPhone/Pad the smartphone market would likely still be full keyboards, and their would be no tablet market).

Apple contributes to society by pushing the tech industry forward, most recent example being retina displays in laptops.

Now, obviously they could afford to donate billions and do not, but they're a business, I do not expect them to donate. I expect individuals to donate (apple execs), which they haven't done nearly enough of.

xpeh

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Apple's given you the modern version of the smartphone and tablet (yes, they didn't invent them, but without the iPhone/Pad the smartphone market would likely still be full keyboards, and their would be no tablet market).Apple contributes to society by pushing the tech industry forward, most recent example being retina displays in laptops. Now, obviously they could afford to donate billions and do not, but they're a business, I do not expect them to donate. I expect individuals to donate (apple execs), which they haven't done nearly enough of.[/citation]

Apple simply gave it to us first. If Apple wouldn't have invented the iPhone/iPad, another company would have, like Google. Google has been working on Android at the same time that Apple was working on IOS. Apple simply released their product first.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]xpeh[/nom]Apple simply gave it to us first. If Apple wouldn't have invented the iPhone/iPad, another company would have, like Google. Google has been working on Android at the same time that Apple was working on IOS. Apple simply released their product first.[/citation]

Precisely. I'm not saying they're the best, or that what they did was magic, just that they gave it to us. As such the market was given something that they can now base their designs off of and improve upon.

Now look at the smartphone market. You have many great devices to choose from: Nexus 4, iPhone 5, the soon to be released GS4, the Lumia 920, the BB Z10, etc. All great devices offering consumers lots of choices, if google had released android that was fully for touch screens (at the time of the iPhone announcment they were working on both keyboard and touchscreen, androids) lets say in 2009 (compared to the iPhone in 2007), the smartphone market would not be nearly as far along as it is today. We can thank companies like Samsung and Google for that, but don't be so quick to disregards Apple's contribution.

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Apple's given you the modern version of the smartphone and tablet (yes, they didn't invent them, but without the iPhone/Pad the smartphone market would likely still be full keyboards, and their would be no tablet market).Apple contributes to society by pushing the tech industry forward, most recent example being retina displays in laptops. Now, obviously they could afford to donate billions and do not, but they're a business, I do not expect them to donate. I expect individuals to donate (apple execs), which they haven't done nearly enough of.[/citation]

I don't think its unreasonable to expect anyone and anything that has $137 billion literally just laying around to at least recognize charity as a viable option. I mean really, this company has billions of dollars and they don't know what to do with it? Then give it to somebody to does!

tacobravo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]xpeh[/nom]Apple simply gave it to us first. If Apple wouldn't have invented the iPhone/iPad, another company would have, like Google. Google has been working on Android at the same time that Apple was working on IOS. Apple simply released their product first.[/citation]

Apple did not give smartphones and tablets to "us" first. Apple just made what existed already hip. They did not invent the iphone/ipad (hell the iphone name wasn't even theirs, it was owned by Cicso before Cisco sued Apple) but merely put existing technologies into their own package. I call that innovation not invention.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]emperor piehead[/nom]You know apple you should give that money to Google that is enough to cover all of the US in Google fiber. Too bad that would never happen[/citation]

Can you say "Google fanboy"?

Seriously, I don't like using the "fanboy" label, but this kind of thinking just shows how ignorant people are of Google's business practices, especially their disdain for your right to privacy. And, the company is rich enough it doesn't need hand-outs from some one else to do whatever it wants.

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]Can you say "Google fanboy"?Seriously, I don't like using the "fanboy" label, but this kind of thinking just shows how ignorant people are of Google's business practices, especially their disdain for your right to privacy. And, the company is rich enough it doesn't need hand-outs from some one else to do whatever it wants.[/citation]
And you don't understand what he meant, sigh idiots...., i'll give u a hint: better internet.

psykhe

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]...but don't be so quick to disregards Apple's contribution.[/citation]

The problem is that nowadays the seem to have a negative effect. Both Apple and Google had last year higher patent-related costs (court activities and buying patents to use there) than they invested into R&D. We can "thank" Apple for starting this trend, too.

And despite having far higher profits than other tech companies the actual amount of money Apple currently invests into R&D is lower than that of Google, Samsung and Microsoft.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

yea, we want out phones thin so the batteries suck
covered in glass so god forbid one falls even an inch in an unlucky spot it could shatter the whole thing
and good god i want to be charged 100$ for every memory increment (8-16-32-64-128, i believe each one they charge at least 100$ more to go to the next tier, only making it cheaper if they no longer offer the bottom option)
oh yea, lets not forget trying to stagnate the market with anti competitive practices, and making the walled garden approach so appealing google and microsoft are trying it out.

as far as im concerned apple is killing tech.

[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]Can you say "Google fanboy"?Seriously, I don't like using the "fanboy" label, but this kind of thinking just shows how ignorant people are of Google's business practices, especially their disdain for your right to privacy. And, the company is rich enough it doesn't need hand-outs from some one else to do whatever it wants.[/citation]

well. lets see here.
i pay over 100$ a month for a 75mbit down 5 (should be 10 but its 5) up and if someone sneezes at them i may have done something they give up information, its that, dsl which in my area is unusable for games, or satellite which is barely better than dialup.

given a choice betten who i have now, and google, i would chose google, becuase their top end fiver service is what 70 or so $ a month if i remember right, and what would cost me 50$ is free.

i cant say fanboy when everyone snoops on you, and when you get to have google as a choice you take them.

i would sooner take google as a provider, because they dont make money serving you, they make money through ads, they give you the internet probably at cost for service and maintenance so you can use them.

apposed to cable companies that make money on screwing you over, and monopoly practices.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
If apple isn't investing in R&D (and let's be honest, from I've seen, if they are doing R&D, they are doing a terrible job). If they aren't reinvesting the money in the company either through R&D or acquisitions, they HAVE to return value to shareholders. Why as a shareholder would I want my capital sitting idle for so long?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Rushuckus[/nom]Why do they need investors when they have $137 billion in cash, buy them out and go private? im not into finance so i could be missing something but...[/citation]
How can A COMPANY by itself out, oh enlightened one? Who would own that "bought out" company pretty please? "Apple Corp, owned by Apple Corp" eh?

Do you realize, that stock owners actually OWN that company, INCLUDING that cash pile?

Status
Not open for further replies.