After locking pc, everything goes crazy

datguy20

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
So nothing is really wrong with my PC at all, until I lock it (I live with another person who I don't want roaming around on my PC).

Once I sign back in from locking it, anytime I click a webpage, I almost instantly get told that I've exceeded my limit of bandwidth (almost like it's spamming refresh or something), and if I open my start menu and try to hover over things, it'll just spam open near everything in there.

When I try to ctrl-alt-del it spams this generic Windows sound like I'm holding enter on an empty text field and takes 2+ minutes, after which it just tells me to sign in, because it for some reason locks the pc.

I've scanned for viruses (AVG free) and malware (Malwarebytes), but it came up clean. The only update available in Windows update is an optional download of Microsoft Silverlight.

I'm not 100% on when this started, but I have a feeling it was right around when I re-enabled Razer Synapse on startup, which I did because my Naga 2014's 1-12 buttons are recognized as regular numbers unless Synapse is open (I have them set to num pad 1-12).

---I forgot to say, but restarting my PC fixes this (until I lock it again that is).

Solution
You are right, there is something clearly wrong when you lock it.
Worst case: reinstall Windows. That should correct anything that is going on because that is not the intended behaviour.

You could try to look through all of the software you have installed. One of the applications may be misbehaving when the system is locked.
Look at the windows event logs to see if some app was kind enough to post an event before going haywire. There might even be a simple error message of some sort that helps pinpoint the offender.
Experiment with shutting down or uninstalling some apps in an attempt to narrow down the list of suspect programs.

And worst case, a re-installation should reset the system to normal.

2x4b

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
What is your screen saver? Could it be the thing causing the problems? Try using no screen saver at all.

I can't say I have ever seen behavior like that so I don't know how to fix it.
But if you 'log off' rather than 'lock' the PC you can achieve a similar result and there shouldn't be any applications running in the background to cause problems.

datguy20

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013

I don't have a screen saver at all :l

Should I make a video of it and just throw it up on youtube or something?

2x4b

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
You are right, there is something clearly wrong when you lock it.
Worst case: reinstall Windows. That should correct anything that is going on because that is not the intended behaviour.

You could try to look through all of the software you have installed. One of the applications may be misbehaving when the system is locked.
Look at the windows event logs to see if some app was kind enough to post an event before going haywire. There might even be a simple error message of some sort that helps pinpoint the offender.
Experiment with shutting down or uninstalling some apps in an attempt to narrow down the list of suspect programs.

And worst case, a re-installation should reset the system to normal.

Solution

datguy20

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013

Yeah, it was Razer Synapse. I disabled the startup and the service, now I can lock it like normal as many times as I want.

But now without Synapse on startup, my Naga buttons aren't recognized as numpad buttons, but instead as regular numbers. How can I get my PC to see them as the numpad without Synapse?