After removing XP I want to Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 10

Irfan_omi22

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
My situation is a bit complicated.
Long time ago I had WinXP and Win7 as dual boot. I didn't touch XP and still to this day I use Win7. The way I installed these 2 OS is:
I had one Primary partition and a Logical partition. I installed XP on the primary and then installed Win7 on the logical.
The dual boot is working fine to this day, until now. I formatted the primary partition, which destroyed the boot data. I repaired it by my Win7 disc. My Win7 is working fine now, but I want Win10 as my secondary OS.
Here is the situation now: The Win7 is on the Logical Drive and Primary Partition contains Boot files otherwise it is empty.
So how should install Win10, so that I won't face any problem and get dual boot as normal.

Solution
"won't be possible" is not the same as "don't want to".

But anyway....I am unsure of installing an OS to that 50GB partition.
And any time you mess with partition resizing...you really need a good backup of the data on that drive.
Just in case.

You need that anyway, but for especially for messing with partitions.

USAFRet

Titan
Well...which drive do you wish to install it on?

I must say though...that is probably the 3rd worst partitioning scheme I've seen here recently.
The worst was some guy who was actually running out of drive letters, due to too many partitions.

Irfan_omi22

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
Ignore the HDD2-a and HDD2-b as they are on separate HDD. Actually I don't know where to install. If I install Win10 on the Empty Primary which contains the Boot files, will there be any problem?

Irfan_omi22

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017

I don't know where to install. If I install Win10 on the Empty Primary which contains the Boot files, will there be any problem? I am a little bit tensed because all of my Office software are on Win7. If there anything happens to it, I'm doomed.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, I did ignore that second drive.
Partitions for Game1, 2 & 3? Why?
Currently, if you wanted install a single large game...GTA V for instance at 60GB...you have only one place to do it...Game 3 partition.
Even though you have ~300GB+ free space on that 1TB drive.
Lots of wasted space.

That first partition is only 50GB.
You will run into issues with a space that small for an OS. It will work, for a while, but you'll be constantly managing that space.

Irfan_omi22

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017

I apologize for my bad management. I can increase the Primary partition size. So give me a final answer. If I install Win10 on the Primary 50GB one I can dual boot Win7 and 10 without any problem? Do I need to format it or just install?
I must remind you again it contains the Boot files.

Irfan_omi22

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017

Then I'm not touching it if you are unsure. Any idea where can I get a solution?

USAFRet

Titan
My solution would be a full wipe and reinstall on that 1TB Disk 0.
At most, 3 partitions.
1 for Win 7 - 100GB
1 for Win 10 - 100GB
1 ~731GB partition for everything else.

I don't have OCD, but I couldn't live with a drive split up like that.

Irfan_omi22

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017

Thank you. But I am afraid that won't be possible. Because installing the software for my work again would be a huge amount of pain and lengthy.

USAFRet

Titan
"won't be possible" is not the same as "don't want to".

But anyway....I am unsure of installing an OS to that 50GB partition.
And any time you mess with partition resizing...you really need a good backup of the data on that drive.
Just in case.

You need that anyway, but for especially for messing with partitions.

Solution

Irfan_omi22

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017

I got an idea. How about I make another 100GB partition form the other HDD. And install Win10 there. In that way I will be able to change the Boot option in BIOS and use Win7 and 10 both. It seems I have no other option.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes...install the new OS on the second drive.

Irfan_omi22

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017

Thank you for your time.