[SOLVED] After swapping HDDs the new one won't boot

timtherock2012

Prominent
Oct 22, 2018
Forgive me if this is in the wrong spot or I am missing something obvious, I am new to this whole thing. My PC stopped working some days ago and after running some repairs suggested by the internet it still came up with Critical Process Died with bootrec/fixboot not working, and given the hard drive was old I replaced it. However once starting up the new one it won't boot into BIOS, instead giving me the message
"Initializing and establishing link..."
"PXE - E61: Media test failure, check cable"
"Error 1962: No operating system found. Press any key to repeat boot sequence"

After swapping over the drives to check the SATA cable, it appears to be fine as the old drive boots into the windows recovery loop.

If needed, the original drive was a WD blue 500GB and the new one is a WD blue 1TB

Any and all help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Solution
I've managed to get it to boot into the BIOS so now I simply create a version of windows on a USB and boot from that by changing the startup priority to the USB?. The OS was windows 10 and the PSU is a Corsair VS450 with model number 75-001835
You need an actual fully working PC to create that USB.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have that, this:

Lutfij

Titan
By swap, did you just replace the old drive with the OS on it, with the new drive devoid of an OS? If so, then you will need to reinstall your OS after you've dropped in the new 1TB HDD. Which OS are you working with? Just to be on the same page, what is the make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Might want to also check and see if you're on the latest BIOS update for your platform/motherboard.

timtherock2012

Prominent
Oct 22, 2018
I've managed to get it to boot into the BIOS so now I simply create a version of windows on a USB and boot from that by changing the startup priority to the USB?. The OS was windows 10 and the PSU is a Corsair VS450 with model number 75-001835

USAFRet

Titan
You need an actual fully working PC to create that USB.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have that, this:

Solution