Question After swapping some components, PC does an abnormal BSOD when waking up from sleep ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 16, 2018
Hello everyone! Apologies if some parts are hard to understand, English is not my first language, I'll be happy to clarify whatever's misunderstood.

For context, I already know the culprit is the OS because I was able to rule it out thanks to a secondary SSD, but I'm making this thread just to see if my main Windows 11 install is fixable, or if there's no other way to solve this but with a clean install, which would be heavily inconvenient for me at this time.

I had a RTX 2080S, and a Ryzen 7 5800X paired with 32GB of DDR4-3600 RAM in an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E motherboard. Due to a few economic needs last year, I had to sell both the GPU and CPU I was using, and then I replaced them with a Ryzen 5 5600G.

At the moment I swapped these components out, I had two separate installs of Windows 10, on two separate SSDs. One is my main system which I'm using right now, and the other one is just a clean install with a few tools, more like a "sandbox" or "testing" system. As of today, they're both upgraded (not clean installed) to Windows 11, with no issues.

The day I installed the 5600G processor, the "BSOD when waking from sleep" problem began to happen in my main system, however it does not happen in my "sandbox" system. Note that both OS were running with the same 2080S/5800X combo before, but only my main system is showing this issue right now.

The day I swapped hardware I also removed old drivers with DDU, chipset drivers, and anything AMD related I could find on both systems, they're both running the same driver versions, however one has this issue and the other one doesn't.

I have resorted to using Hibernate in my main system, but end up missing the speedy boot times that Suspend gave me, and I find it weird that it works just fine in my other, empty system, which leads me to believe that the only way of solving this would be to clean install Windows 11 in my main SSD.

Here's a picture of the BSOD in question, so you can see why I call it "abnormal". The system hangs completely, and I have to force restart it.
2024-04-27-13-23-33-966.jpg

The error code (consistently, doesn't change from reboot to reboot) reads "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED", and it's important to note that the BSOD doesn't appear every time I try to wake up the PC from sleep, most of the times it's just a black screen with the same result, a completely frozen system that won't boot up. Keyboard lights up (but doesn't react to caps lock), motherboard RGB lights are cycling and the Dr.Debug LED shows the CPU temperature, but other than that, either there's a BSOD or a black screen and it doesn't boot up.

In my "sandbox" system, none of this happens, the PC boots up from sleep as normal.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. I hope I didn't forget any important details. Honourable mention to @Colif since he may be able to help in this case, I found out about him while trying other steps mentioned in other threads here, to no avail, since I haven't been able to resolve my issue.

Jun 16, 2018
had any more BSOD?
I haven't managed to get a BSOD again, I mainly use Hibernate because of the problem with Sleep mode, but this morning I tried the Sleep mode again and the "black screen/system unresponsive" issue is all I get, along with the same "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation." message when I boot the PC back up

Jun 16, 2018
so make a new file and we see if removing files was enough for ubuysa. Otherwise I look at it.
Okay, here's the new file: LINK

What I did was uninstalled, cleared event viewer, and error reports from the "View all problem reports" window, put the PC to sleep for a while and turned it back on. This time and for a perfect timing, I got a BSOD again.

It's more than likely that traces of the software Ubuysa mentioned will be present on the diagnostic files I just uploaded even though they are not even installed anymore. If that's the case then I don't really know if it's worth to keep trying to troubleshoot if that alone is what's gonna grab all of the attention instead of the actual issue.
Please let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary or that could be causing the problem, if not I will most likely just do a clean install in the near future, in the same drive, and report back if that solved the problem for future knowledge of anyone who may browse this thread.