Question After transportation, my monitor freezes and crashes my PC.

Oct 16, 2022
Recently, I moved to a new city. I decided to transport my monitor in my own car, but I put it in a very tight spot (between a seat and a fridge).

Now, no idea if something happened while transporting it, but from time to time my display freezes, sound glitches and I have to restart my PC to fix it. I tried changing the cable, went through a VGA connection, then through a DVI-D single link, then dual link, now I'm using HDMI - DVI. By the time I moved here I brought my old PC with me, which had a problem with my PSU. This week I bought a brand new PC. The only thing I kept from my old PC was it's SSD (Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb). The problem still occurs.

The monitor itself is old. If you look closely you can see like little cubes on the display. I thought it might be because of my old PC, but they are still present while using the new PC(It uses an RTX 3060). I've ordered a new monitor and I hope that it will fix the issue, but, just in case, I hope that I can get some help from someone.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model monitor? How old is old?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the freezes and glitches.

May well be that something jarred a bit loose in the old monitor and due to heat (expansion/contraction) or vibrations looses connectivity. Or causes a short.

Oct 16, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model monitor? How old is old?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the freezes and glitches.

May well be that something jarred a bit loose in the old monitor and due to heat (expansion/contraction) or vibrations looses connectivity. Or causes a short.

PC specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600
RAM: 2x8 Kingston FURY Beast 3200Mhz
MB: Asus Tuf Gaming B550M-E
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus X2 OC 12GB GDDR6
PSU: 750W Cooler Master MWE V2 80+ Gold
Case: Cooler Master Masterbox MB511 ARGB

My monitor is Acer KA210HQbd, 20.7", 60Hz, 1920x1080p

I bought it way back in 2018 and I've been using it since then, but somewhere around this summer, there were several big electrical outages in my city and after that my monitor started looking grainy (just a bit) and I had some problems with my PSU on my old PC. It was using a 550W TrendSonic. If you want, I can provide you with more information about my old PC.

Ralston18

Titan
If possible try the old monitor on another known working computer. Determine if the problems continue.

If the new monitor works without problems then the old monitor is likely the culprit. If the new monitor has problems then also test it on another known working computer.

Both monitors having problems on one computer and not on another computer makes the first computer the culprit.

Then a similar set of tests and swaps are needed to narrow down further: GPU vs Motherboard for example.

Oct 16, 2022
If possible try the old monitor on another known working computer. Determine if the problems continue.

If the new monitor works without problems then the old monitor is likely the culprit. If the new monitor has problems then also test it on another known working computer.

Both monitors having problems on one computer and not on another computer makes the first computer the culprit.

Then a similar set of tests and swaps are needed to narrow down further: GPU vs Motherboard for example.
I tested the monitor on another PC and the display still looked grainy, but I couldn't see if it was going to crash again, because it always happens at random.

I checked Reliability History and it says that "Windows didn't shut down properly" and "IAStorDataSvc stopped working" - it once happened when I forcefully restarted the PC, the next time is unknown to me. I may have restarted it then again, I'm not too sure. Bear in mind that when this happens, I restart my PC using the little button next to the power button (I don't know it's name, I'm sorry).

The Event Viewer only says that in the last 24 hours there was a problem with "Kernel-Power" which happened 3 times. That's actually the number of times my monitor "crashed" my PC. I atleast hope that the monitor is at fault.

Another thing I noticed was that it happens only after it gets "hot". Like, most of the time, the back of my monitor is at room temperature, if you know what I mean. And when it gets just a bit warm, this problem starts to occur.

I hope that this information may help you a little to understand my problem. I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
The little button is probably a reset button.

When Windows is improperly shutdown for any reason then that improper shutdown can cause file corruption which in turn can cause even more problems. And sometimes the end user is indeed forced to shutdown the system as well. And must use either the power switch or the reset switch to do so.

The monitor heating up could be causing a short that in turn causes Windows to shutdown.

My thought is to just wait for the new monitor and avoid using the old monitor if that is at all possible. Are you able to borrow another monitor from a family member or friend?

In the meantime check for and cleanup corrupted files using "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Oct 16, 2022
The little button is probably a reset button.

When Windows is improperly shutdown for any reason then that improper shutdown can cause file corruption which in turn can cause even more problems. And sometimes the end user is indeed forced to shutdown the system as well. And must use either the power switch or the reset switch to do so.

The monitor heating up could be causing a short that in turn causes Windows to shutdown.

My thought is to just wait for the new monitor and avoid using the old monitor if that is at all possible. Are you able to borrow another monitor from a family member or friend?

In the meantime check for and cleanup corrupted files using "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central
Usually delivery isn't a problem in my country(I'm from Bulgaria). If they ship it tomorrow, it will probably be here in the next 24 hours. I have some projects that I need to do for university, but they can wait I suppose. Sadly, I can't borrow a monitor, so I'm just gonna use this one for the next 1-2 days. I just hope that the new monitor fixes all my problems...

P.S: sfc /scannow found some corrupted files and fixed them. No idea what was corrupted, but I guess it's a new PC using an SSD from another PC, so there might be some corrupted files. But the same issue occured on my old PC, so I don't think that it's going to fix the issue...

About DISM:

CheckHealth didn't find any problems.
ScanHealth didn't find any problems either.

I'm not sure if this is the right way to use DISM, but the results makes me a little bit less worried.

Ralston18

Titan
Just try to keep the monitor cool as best you can if the monitor must be used.

Hopefully some fixed files will improve things. Still there is uncertainty involved with both the nature of the problem and the solution.

May not know until that new monitor arrives.

In the meantime, as you always should doing anyway, be sure to make frequent backups of all important data.

At least 2 x copies to locations off of the problem computer and monitor. Especially your university projects.

Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Reactions: AoiY
Oct 16, 2022
Just try to keep the monitor cool as best you can if the monitor must be used.

Hopefully some fixed files will improve things. Still there is uncertainty involved with both the nature of the problem and the solution.

May not know until that new monitor arrives.

In the meantime, as you always should doing anyway, be sure to make frequent backups of all important data.

At least 2 x copies to locations off of the problem computer and monitor. Especially your university projects.

Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.
I will, thank you for helping me out! I really appreciate it! ^^