Question After unexpected shutdown, system does not boot when GPU is installed.

tr0lolol

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Intel i4 3770K @ stock
ASUS Radeon RX 570 Expedition @ stock
Crucial M500 SSD 120 GB
Seagate HDD 1 TB + 3TB
Corsair TX650M
G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 2 x 8GB

Hi!
Above is my old pc I assembled ~6 years ago and recently got a new GPU (RX570). I was testing out the GPU by playing Crysis on High when suddenly the PC turns off. I turn the Power Switch back on, the CPU fan and the case fans jiggle once but does not proceed to boot. The green light on the motherboard is on, as well as the little white light on the back of the GPU. But when I remove the GPU, the PC boots fine. I'm suspecting the GPU is defective, or the power cable powering the GPU, or maybe the PCI-E slot? Sadly I have no additional graphics cards/PSU to test my hypothesis. Any suggestions on what is causing this issue? Thanks so much!

If you know anyone who might have a GPU that you can borrow for a day then that would help.
Other than that, you could try resetting the CMOS. Turn the PSU off, them take the CMOS battery out of the motherboard, hold down the power button for a few seconds, put the battery back in and plug the PSU in then turn the PC on and see what happens.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If the system boots without the graphics cards with no problem the culprit is most probably the card. Is the motherboard BIOS up to date?

As said above, another working card would show whether the PCIE aux cable/connector or the slot are faulty which is kind of less likely.

Does the card need an 8-pin aux power? If memory serves right that PSU is a semi-modular unit, have you tried another PCIE connector on the PSU (if it has them)?

Also what are the CPU and GPU temps like when playing? System shut downs after a while under load can sometimes have a thermal cause.

tr0lolol

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
Thanks for replying!
If the system boots without the graphics cards with no problem the culprit is most probably the card. Is the motherboard BIOS up to date?
Yes, the BIOS is up to date as downloaded here.

As said above, another working card would show whether the PCIE aux cable/connector or the slot are faulty which is kind of less likely.
I can do the next best thing, to take it to a friend to have the GPU tested

Does the card need an 8-pin aux power? If memory serves right that PSU is a semi-modular unit, have you tried another PCIE connector on the PSU (if it has them)?
Yes it needs a 6+2 connector. Also, you are correct that it's semi-modular. Sadly, I don't have other PCI-E connectors for testing. I'll try getting those in the meantime.

Also what are the CPU and GPU temps like when playing? System shut downs after a while under load can sometimes have a thermal cause.
During games, max temps I've seen are 72 C for this GPU (got the temps from HWMonitor)

tr0lolol

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
If you know anyone who might have a GPU that you can borrow for a day then that would help.
I'll try doing that, thanks!

Other than that, you could try resetting the CMOS. Turn the PSU off, them take the CMOS battery out of the motherboard, hold down the power button for a few seconds, put the battery back in and plug the PSU in then turn the PC on and see what happens.
Just did that, problem still persists. :(

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Thanks for replying!

Yes it needs a 6+2 connector. Also, you are correct that it's semi-modular. Sadly, I don't have other PCI-E connectors for testing. I'll try getting those in the meantime.

I meant if the PSU has other PCIE output to try with that output with other cable/connector that came with the PSU in the same box. DO NOT attempt to connect another set of PCIE aux cable/connector from other PSU to yout PSU and card at all. Pinout can be different and that would make bad things happen like the graphics card going up in smoke!

During games, max temps I've seen are 72 C for this GPU (got the temps from HWMonitor)

That is not as high a temperature for a graphics card that would cause thermal throttling and shut down. What were the CPU temps like under laod, did you ever monitor those?

tr0lolol

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
I meant if the PSU has other PCIE output to try with that output with other cable/connector that came with the PSU in the same box. DO NOT attempt to connect another set of PCIE aux cable/connector from other PSU to yout PSU and card at all. Pinout can be different and that would make bad things happen like the graphics card going up in smoke!
Do you mean if the PSU has other ports I can use to plug in the PCI-E connector? Here is the model that I use (the GPU is connected to one of the 8-pin outputs):
-CP-9020002-NA-Gallery-tx650m-002.png

That is not as high a temperature for a graphics card that would cause thermal throttling and shut down. What were the CPU temps like under laod, did you ever monitor those?
I just replaced the thermal compound of my CPU, and underload it's about the same as the GPU - hovering at 65-70.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Do you mean if the PSU has other ports I can use to plug in the PCI-E connector? Here is the model that I use (the GPU is connected to one of the 8-pin outputs):
-CP-9020002-NA-Gallery-tx650m-002.png

I just replaced the thermal compound of my CPU, and underload it's about the same as the GPU - hovering at 65-70.

Yes I meant if the PSU has other ports or not. Does the PCIE aux cable go to the black or blue here? It has two of each. There are no markings on the PSU body. And I couldn't find in the manual.

https://www.corsair.com/medias/sys_...9025822/-CP-9020002-NA-Gallery-tx650m-005.png

tr0lolol

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
Yes I meant if the PSU has other ports or not. Does the PCIE aux cable go to the black or blue here? It has two of each. There are no markings on the PSU body. And I couldn't find in the manual.

https://www.corsair.com/medias/sys_...9025822/-CP-9020002-NA-Gallery-tx650m-005.png

I took a photo of the back of the PSU:

kfOnfdf.jpg

the cable for the GPU goes in the blue ports ( 8 pin) , the 6 pin one is for the hard drives, and the bundle of cables are for the CPU, Motehrboard, and a chassis fan. Is this correct that the GPU should be connected there?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I took a photo of the back of the PSU:

kfOnfdf.jpg

the cable for the GPU goes in the blue ports ( 8 pin) , the 6 pin one is for the hard drives, and the bundle of cables are for the CPU, Motehrboard, and a chassis fan. Is this correct that the GPU should be connected there?

That is actually what I asked you because I thought there might have been a hard copy of a printed manual included in the PSU box or maybe the cable headers are color-coded? I couldn't find a manual on that page with the link you posted.

I can't see the other end of the cable in picture that's connected to the blue 8-pin. Although the sleeved cable from the 8-pin blue connector looks like PCIE 6+2 and the black ribbon-like cable from 6-pin black port looks like SATA power cables.

You can also check both ends of cables that came with the PSU to make sure. If the cables that have 8-pin connectors on one end (which go in blue ports) have 6+2-pins/connectors on the other end they go in the PCIE aux connectors on graphics cards.

Also if the cables with 6-pin connectors on one end, have SATA power connectors on the other end they go in the 6-pin black ports.

tr0lolol

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
That is actually what I asked you because I thought there might have been a hard copy of a printed manual included in the PSU box or maybe the cable headers are color-coded? I couldn't find a manual on that page with the link you posted.

I can't see the other end of the cable in picture that's connected to the blue 8-pin. Although the sleeved cable from the 8-pin blue connector looks like PCIE 6+2 and the black ribbon-like cable from 6-pin black port looks like SATA power cables.

You can also check both ends of cables that came with the PSU to make sure. If the cables that have 8-pin connectors on one end (which go in blue ports) have 6+2-pins/connectors on the other end they go in the PCIE aux connectors on graphics cards.

Also if the cables with 6-pin connectors on one end, have SATA power connectors on the other end they go in the 6-pin black ports.
Yes you are correct. Each row is 6 pin (black) and 6+2 (blue). The 6 pin ribbon-like cable is indeed SATA, used to power the HDDs. Sadly, I lost the box with the manual and spare cables a long time ago (the system is pretty old). If the PSU might be the issue, is there a way to check? Also is it possible that only 1 port of the PSU is not functional and the others are okay?
Thanks so much for your replies at this point.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes you are correct. Each row is 6 pin (black) and 6+2 (blue). The 6 pin ribbon-like cable is indeed SATA, used to power the HDDs. Sadly, I lost the box with the manual and spare cables a long time ago (the system is pretty old). If the PSU might be the issue, is there a way to check? Also is it possible that only 1 port of the PSU is not functional and the others are okay?
Thanks so much for your replies at this point.

I think from earlier posts we can say it's probably the graphics card as you said the system boots without it. Although it can be the PSU (I think it's unlikely); but yes that port you're currently using.

Modular and semi-modular PSUs ususally have PCB daughter-boards that house the connectors and on those there are SMD components like capacitors and resistors and such. If one of the components for one of the ports fail that port might not function properly but others would be fine.

Checking the PSU for faults like that should be done by technicians who have the necessary know-how and tools.

I told you to connect the graphics card to another PSU PCIE output (if semi-/modular) to check and the following posts drifted a bit as I wanted to warn you not to use other cables that did not come with the PSU because that is dangerous and could kill the graphics card if it's not dead yet.

tr0lolol

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
I think from earlier posts we can say it's probably the graphics card as you said the system boots without it. Although it can be the PSU (I think it's unlikely); but yes that port you're currently using.

Modular and semi-modular PSUs ususally have PCB daughter-boards that house the connectors and on those there are SMD components like capacitors and resistors and such. If one of the components for one of the ports fail that port might not function properly but others would be fine.

Checking the PSU for faults like that should be done by technicians who have the necessary know-how and tools.

I told you to connect the graphics card to another PSU PCIE output (if semi-/modular) to check and the following posts drifted a bit as I wanted to warn you not to use other cables that did not come with the PSU because that is dangerous and could kill the graphics card if it's not dead yet.

Sorry for the slow update! I actually submitted it for return and they tested that the card was indeed dead and accepted it (they also had someone return the same graphics card, about the same problem). The replacement would take a while since they had no more stocks of the Expedition, so they offered me to pay just a bit extra to buy a Strix version. Now I'm scared that the new one would just fail on me again, although the PC did boot with the new GPU installed. I'm thinking of testing the leads of the PSU first before running any tests

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Sorry for the slow update! I actually submitted it for return and they tested that the card was indeed dead and accepted it (they also had someone return the same graphics card, about the same problem). The replacement would take a while since they had no more stocks of the Expedition, so they offered me to pay just a bit extra to buy a Strix version. Now I'm scared that the new one would just fail on me again, although the PC did boot with the new GPU installed. I'm thinking of testing the leads of the PSU first before running any tests

Well if the problem was the graphics card I don't think you have to worry about the PSU.

That unit is an OK unit. It wouldn't hurt to check the output voltages though.

You said you lost the box and spare cables. Does the new card need a 6+2-pin? Because if I'm not mistaken that is what you have, right? A single PCIE power cable with a 6+2 gpu connector?

tr0lolol

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
Well if the problem was the graphics card I don't think you have to worry about the PSU.

That unit is an OK unit. It wouldn't hurt to check the output voltages though.

You said you lost the box and spare cables. Does the new card need a 6+2-pin? Because if I'm not mistaken that is what you have, right? A single PCIE power cable with a 6+2 gpu connector?
Yes the new card has a 6+2 port like the previous one. And yes, I only have the single PCIE power cable with the 6+2 connector and the 8 pin on the other end.
Also do you know of a quick way to check the output voltage? I'm guessing you need a multimeter for this

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes you'd need a multimeter for that but I kind of think you don't have to worry about the PSU.

Also I think you can inquire with Corsair and get spare cables for the model you have.

I think Corsair actually have a cable compatibility across their PSUs on their website but I'd ask them for the right info on what cables to get/buy.

TRENDING THREADS