After Windows reinstall all videos remain black

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there

I reinstalled Windows 10 and now videos such as Youtube would not show. They play, there is sound, there are individual slides in small previews but video remains black. I did install AMD driver and all drivers for VGA from Asus web site. What else can it be missing or what's wrong? Thank you.

Solution
Windows 10 does not natively come with the necessary application or codecs for video playback of many video formats.

Dowload and install either VLC media player, KM player, Windows media player classic or another video player of your choosing. Then download the K-lite codec pack standard or basic version and install it. Then install your video player. Then try again.

If that doesn't work, then open up your browser settings and either disable or enable, based on which you already have, hardware acceleration.
Windows 10 does not natively come with the necessary application or codecs for video playback of many video formats.

Dowload and install either VLC media player, KM player, Windows media player classic or another video player of your choosing. Then download the K-lite codec pack standard or basic version and install it. Then install your video player. Then try again.

If that doesn't work, then open up your browser settings and either disable or enable, based on which you already have, hardware acceleration.

Solution

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey, thank you for your replies. I use Edge. This is like 4th reinstall of Windows on this computer from 2014 for different reasons, it never had this problem. I never had to install VLC media player, KM player, Windows media player classic or another video player of your choosing. I thought Windows Media Player was part of Windows? I also have 3 more custom built computers in the house and they play videos without installing any of those mentioned. Did something change in latest Windows update that took out video? I went in Start menu and opened Windows Media Player. It did some kind of activation thing, I selected Standard option and it installed or what ever it calls. But the videos still not playing. I will try to restart.

Astralv

Distinguished
Ok, so it works now. First it would not restart- was sitting in "Press Delete or F12" black screen, only restart when I use Reset button. Then when it did restart, I went to that same video, pressed Start and it gave me Blue Screen with "We collecting some information and will restart soon- for more information see windows.com/stopcode", also there was no stopcode listed. When it restarted, all Edge Windows were closed, which is odd (lost all my Blackfriday shopping finds!) and then videos were playing. It must be related to Windows Media Player. Thank you everybody for the help!