Aftermarket IR / Remote control for HTPC

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Hello all,

I have sourced all my parts for my HTPC build thanks to many people on tom's forums and i've pulled the trigger bought this:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 4GB
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB
Case: Silverstone ML05B HTPC Case
Power Supply: be quiet! POWER 2 300W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply

In hindsight i realised this HTPC doesnt have IR built in for remote control.

What can i buy to upgrade this to IR ? i don't mind doing a bit DIY inside the case. I'd prefer not to use a USB dongle type however if it can't be helped then i'd love some advice on what to buy for that. Also

I'd also like some advice on remote controls - something that will make using kodi easy.

Essentially my wife will use this PC more than i so having a remote control will make her life a little easier as she doesnt use PC's too much.

Solution
Ir is so old school. lol. It's all RF nowadays.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-TSM-01-Air-Mouse---Keyboard-for-TV-Box---PC---Motion-Sensing-Games-317283.html

This is nice with a keyboard on the back, because at some point, you'll need a keyboard with Kodi. There is a ton more devices like that, and the USB dongle can be in the back because it's RF.

Now if you want to control this with a smart remote like a harmony, then you'll need IR and any cheap IR dongle on ebay would do, but they are all USB. Best you could do would be to plug it into the back via USb and an USB extension, they wire the receiver somehow in the case the signal can still get through.

Newer harmony devices like any of the hub based series use...
Ir is so old school. lol. It's all RF nowadays.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-TSM-01-Air-Mouse---Keyboard-for-TV-Box---PC---Motion-Sensing-Games-317283.html

This is nice with a keyboard on the back, because at some point, you'll need a keyboard with Kodi. There is a ton more devices like that, and the USB dongle can be in the back because it's RF.

Now if you want to control this with a smart remote like a harmony, then you'll need IR and any cheap IR dongle on ebay would do, but they are all USB. Best you could do would be to plug it into the back via USb and an USB extension, they wire the receiver somehow in the case the signal can still get through.

Newer harmony devices like any of the hub based series use bluetooth and don't need IR.

I use a harmony remote and hub with my system because then it's 1 remote for all. And activites make switching the devices and settings on the AVR and TV easy. Press chromecast, it all switch, or media PC, everything thing switchs, LED's lights dim, receivers switchs sound modes, etc.

All comes down to how much you want to spend and what you want to use.

Solution