agp is dead???

piskeante

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
hello.i have an xp 3000+ clocked at 2420,but i think it´s not powerfull enough to "give" work to my 6800 gt agp.here is the problem.as i see, in my country, all a64 754 have been "erased" so i may see that there would not be a solution for my 6800 gt agp.so, before all the market sells out mobos only in pcx, i would like to get a mobo so as to have a possibility to upgrade using the same 6800 gt.i have not been able to see any mobo which would be something like this :

socket 939 nforce 4 + agp + ddr 240pin.

i´m planning on upgrading, i wanted the a64 3800+ d.core but still have the problem with the mobo.the best i´ve seen is the MSI K8N NEO 2 PLATINUM which is a mobo rather old, but i think with good results. i don´t know if there is a mobo outthere which would fit with my preferences.is the agp dead?? i do not want asrock, as you may know.

in my country there are not many options...but any way...i would be very pleased if i could have some "names" just to do a research in this market.
thanks in advance.

pat

Expert
hello.i have an xp 3000+ clocked at 2420,but i think it´s not powerfull enough to "give" work to my 6800 gt agp.

Well, if your CPU at 2.4 Ghz is not fast enough, then you have a real problem elsewhere.. Or you need a 2.6 GHz FX57 which will cost you a lot of $$$...

By the way, the 3800 dual core is running at 2.2 GHz, and while it can be oced, the dual core wont help at all for game. You'll end up running your CPU maybe a bit faster than the one you have, and I don't think it will make a big difference.. maybe 10% at best with stock cooling.

By the way, the nforce 4 is the PCIe chipset while nforce3 is the AGP one.

How much RAM do you have ?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")<b>ώ</b>(") This is my bunny.. Still making Wingding's envy...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, nForce4 is a PCI-Express chipset. Second, the A64 does not currently support DDR2.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

piskeante

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
so ...you think that the mobo i said would be a good election?well...the fact is that in the cpu interactive charts of tom...i´ve seen that in most games, my xp3000+ at 2400 is literaly blown up by a simple a64 3200+.i don´t realy know if the real gain would be only a 10%. so, i should stick to nforce 3 that is clear,but i suppose there is no compatibility with a64 d.core.am i wrong??by the way, my ram is a 1gb geil value ram with disipator running at 1:1 cpu ratio at 2.5 5 5 9. ok...the ram is also solved.i should stick to nforce 3 agp dual channel with no posibility of running a64 d.core.is that right?

pat

Expert
I misread your post.. I thought you had a a64 3000+ 754, since you were talking of them. In this case, there shoud be more than 10% difference.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")<b>ώ</b>(") This is my bunny.. Still making Wingding's envy...

piskeante

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
any idea??is anyone so kind to tell me the name of the mobo i´m looking for?? a mobo 939 agp nforce 3? is the msi neo 2 platium a good election??some advise??please help!!!!

piskeante

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
but DFI LANParty nF3 Ultra is compatible with a64 d.core?i suppose not...but anyway i ask.this mobo has never appeared with chipset via, does it??i ask this because one of the biggest stores at national level, has a description of this product which should be not correct,i´ve gone to www.dfi.com/tw and a model of dfi lanparty nf3 ultra has never appeared with via.

so anyway i would like to know if this mobo has compatibility with a64 dual core.at has a bios appaared to make it compatible?
thanks in advance.

The NF3 Ultra is using the nVidia nForce3 Ultra chipset. It is NOT using a VIA chipset and that is why there is no mention of VIA.

Yes it is compatible with A64 dual core. You may have to flash to the most recent BIOS, but newer boards should ship with the latest BIOS and accept dual core CPUs out of the box.

<font color=orange>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world
domination. </font color=orange>

piskeante

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
hello.

i´ve been searching through the market here in spain, and i´ve been able to see epox mobos.

which one would you chose??

EP-9NDA3+
EP-9NDA3J
LANPARTY UT nF3 Ultra
AV8 + Third Eye

i want 939 with agp so that i can continue using my 6800 gt agp and to have compatibility with a64 d.core.

which one would you chose??
thanks

piskeante

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
not in this case wusy.both the epox and dfi are prized exactly the same.so in this case...anything else that the price, will tell me the "name" of my preference.both mobos seem the same.the only thing is that i´ve not been able to see any bios that sais that the model of dfi supports a64 d.core, which i have seen in epox with it´s latest bios.dfi has 6 ch sound and epox 8 ch.the north bridge is in both of them cooled.they have more or less the same specs so, i think, if you would be so kind to tell me which one performs better, which one has the most ocing options,which one is the most stable and if you have the possibility to know if the dfi really supports a64 d.core.

thanks in advance.

vinviper

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
Oh, very similar to my thread I have just created!! Sorry guys.

So it looks like the options are the same for me..... ??

x800 XT PE
MSI K7N2 currently (whats the fastest available CPU this can take?
XP3200+ 400 FSB
GEIL dual channel 400mhz 2 x 512 mb

Which of the boards suggested so far, gives the better longevity of a x8AGP rig? The epox boasts
Support Socket-939 based AMD Athlon-64 / Athlon-64 FX / Athlon 64 X2 up to 4800+ with 2.0GT/s Hyper Transport

The MSI and DFI lan party do not mention up to 4800+ at all?

Thanks

Vin
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vinviper on 10/03/05 07:29 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

piskeante

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
i´m almost sure that you already have the fastest cpu for your mobo, as there are no more xp than the 3200.so in this case....i would buy new mobo and new cpu.but wusy, you haven´t told me if dfi really supports a64 d.core.are you sure that dfi supports it?? epox does.

what about an a64 d.core 3800??although it runs a little bit slower than a64 4000, d.core is a mark of "durability"

thanks!!!!

vinviper

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
Thats it, Im looking at a new mobo and CPU.

I like the MSI boards, been so stable for me, and im not an oc'er.

The A64 4000+ San Diego 90nm is the CPU I am likely to go for, as it jumps from a 512k cache to 1mb over the 3800 version. £276 tho!!

Will I see a significant performance leap in gaming with a

X800 XT PE x8agp
a64 4000+ 1mb cache
Geil dual channel 1gb DDR 400

over

X800 XT PE
XP 3200+
Same memory as above

???

cesspool17

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2005
I was also looking at those 2 EPoX AGP mobo's, and noticed:

"Support single-sided or double-sided 2.5v DDR-333/400 DIMMs with dual channel architecture in 128/256/512Mb technologies"

So if your looking to buy 2x1024 sticks like me, I would reconsider. So to ask my own question, are there any Mobo's which support this criteria

AGP8X
dual channel 1024MB stick support (4GB capacity)
AMD64 X2 support
low-mid OC abilities
at least one SATA

vinviper

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo2_Platinum&class=mb

That board supports 4 x 1gb.

However, for me, I would want to utilise my existing memory, so another order for Geil Dual Channel 2 x 512mb sticks for me, BUT the table suggests it will only run at 400 mhz in S S S S, and 333 in D D D D !?! Does this mean my sticks with 4 x 512mb PC3200's will be throttled back to DDR 333 speeds?

Also, I want a board that is AGP that will support newer dual core chips, but most importantly the latest fastest AMD single core chips, MSI are not stating anything above AMD 64 4000+ ???

yes 4X512 autmoatically clock back to 333mhz.

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com/nutshell.mp3" target="_new">"Like a scrotum, there it is in a nutshell."</A>
<font color=red>Roll Tide!</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apathetic As<i></i>shole.}=-</A>

vinviper

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
Will that make much difference?

Also, I am just about to order, but noticed both these GeiL dual channel options, 1 Cas3 1 Cas2.5, i THINK I bought the 2.5 last time, will it make any difference if I actually bought the 2.5 last time and 3 this time?

My rig has been INCREDIBLY stable with the MSI K7N2, XP3200 + 400fsb, R9700Pro (now x800 XT PE), 1gb dual channel GEIL and an Audigy blaster to boot. All that on a 3 yr old Ebuyer 550w PSU. No probs ;-)

you might have to check with someone else but i tihink they will default to cas 3. 2.5 is faster though, you can always try overclocking(if you want too.) up to the speeds by increasing the bus. if you are considering OCing it, make sure you get the correct info on how too, many of us around here will help you out.

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com/nutshell.mp3" target="_new">"Like a scrotum, there it is in a nutshell."</A>
<font color=red>Roll Tide!</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apathetic As<i></i>shole.}=-</A>

webdev511

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2005
I'm in a simular situation. I currently have a shuttle AN35 and an athlon xp 2600+ w/ 2x1GB PC3200 & a 6800GT AGP.

I've been eyeing NF3 Ultra 939 boards for about 3 months, and found a refurb (a gamble I know) DFI LanpartyUT NF3 Ultra-d for $70 US at dumpinggoods dot com.

I do quite a bit of developement running my standard XP desktop as well as a virtual machine in the background, so I am opting for the 3800 x2. If I'm feeling spendy I might also get an X-fi sound card, as the NF3 sound is a step back from the quite good soundstorm found on the NF2-U.

My question is, apart from the NEW items on the NF3 board, do you think it's safe to just swap boards, cross your fingers and boot? After all NF1/2/3 all have the same driver set. I guess the worst that can happen is I'd have to do sysprep, eh?

Opinions?

Garth H

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
My question is, apart from the NEW items on the NF3 board, do you think it's safe to just swap boards, cross your fingers and boot? After all NF1/2/3 all have the same driver set. I guess the worst that can happen is I'd have to do sysprep, eh?
You'll need to do a repair install at the least, but even then it's not going to be 100% anyway.

I upgraded from a nforce2 to nforce3 rig myself, and although a repair install got it going, it really wasn't that good and I had a few little problems that I just couldn't get rid of.

It really is better to just bite the bullet and reformat/reinstall properly. No old crap lying around to get in the way then.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

vinviper

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
Just a thought, on the board throttling the mem bus back to 333mhz with 4 x 512mb sticks, it doesnt also throttle back the CPU FSB of 400 mhz does it?

I've just ordered up another set of Geil dual channel 2 x 512mb cas 2.5 and a SATAII 160GB 8mb 7200 Hitachi drive, but want to be sure I now order the right mobo.

The MSI K8N Neo 2 NF3 is the one im about to order, but want to be sure the mem bus and CPU can run seperate?

Also still cant see confirmation above, that board will support all AMD64 and FX chips presently available right?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Well, A64s don't really have a 'FSB' as such anymore.

The CPU will run at its rated speed, and in fact the memory will run at 200Mhz (400DDR), just with 2T command rate - which does have some performance effect obviously, but it's fairly minimal really, and offset by the advantages of having 2Gb of RAM, assuming you do anything that will use that much.

AFAIK almost any new s939 board will support all the A64s, although some <i>might</i> require a BIOS update to work with the X2 chips. MSI's website will tell you which chips their board is compatible with.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 10/06/05 05:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>