AHCI regedit disaster

hankmarvin

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Hello all I have just noticed that I never had AHCI enabled and performed the following regestry edit

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci
5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

These steps are provided at your own risk and not suggested unless you know and understand the risks. You will want to make sure the controller driver and MB BIOS support this option before you enable it

But after that when I restart in AHCI mode I get this message:
Error CD-ROM boot priority ...no boot Medium Reboot and select proper boot device and press a key or just shoot yourself

The only way I can get windows to boot is to change the storage configuration back to IDE.

Any help would be ferkin brilliant, I have No Idea.

Solution
Agree - there is something a bit different going on it seems.

hankmarvin

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
I just re-read what I posted and realized that with what I have written it looks as though I should probably have posted this in the Windows section but what I'm actually asking is where do I get the drivers I need for my Asus M4N98TD EVO that I'm being asked for during the boot process, and once I have them do I have to burn them to a disc and insert it once it asks?...
I can't find them at the official ASUS site and it also looks like I'm missing my coprocessor driver which I also can't find!.

hankmarvin

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Just to double check it is in the storage configuration on the first page of the BIOS that I set it from IDE to AHCI isn't it?...why is it asking me to put a disc in and hit any key, what disc is it referring to do you know?...

hankmarvin

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
I didn't know about AHCI before I installed windows the first time. I changed the registry manually via those instructions when I changed the BIOS settings to AHCI it goes to the black screen asking for the boot cd. I unselected AHCI back to IDE it boots to windows again. I ran Microsoft updates until the cows came home. I manually checked all my drivers via device manager, there is only one driver with a problem, the coprocessor is not there and windows cannot find an update for it and neither can I. I figured something had become messed up somewhere along the line and re-imaged windows. Still no joy so I re-installed windows and still no joy. I tried to install windows with AHCI option enabled and it would not do anything, it just said it could not install windows to disc 0 partition 1, the only way to re-install windows that I could find is to just re-install in IDE mode and re-try to manually adjust the AHCI option after again. No joy.
The strange thing is I re ran the Windows System performance test and the hard drive rating did increase even without the AHCI option enabled in the BIOS. It went from 5.9 to 6.5?...how's that even possible!.

You can edit your own posts - the first post you made will give you the option to edit the title too.
r43L7d

The simplest is to run Fix It -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Some MOBO's allow 'some' of the SATA ports to be IDE and others AHCI; it's best to have them ALL one way or the other. THEN go into the Registry or use 'Fix It' but be careful to ONLY change the Start = 0 and nothing else.

See:
AHCI_Start_0.jpg

IF you accidentally created a corruption, the simplest 'fix' is to play musical SATA Ports with ALL the drives, be careful if there's a RAID and reboot. This causes ALL of the drivers to be re-installed and the Registry values re-written.