News AI-Generated PC Cases Could Give Human Designers Stiff Competition

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 7, 2022
Just so we know, what are your qualifications for saying this? Have you even designed, trained, or even applied an AI model? Have you any formal education or informal experience with machine learning?

People indeed design the topology of the networks (although that's becoming increasingly automated), but substantial aspects of the algorithm are learned from the data used to train it. Humans select the training data and need to take care to avoid common errors like bias and over-fitting, but the actual conditions linking the outputs with inputs are learned - not programmed.

Indeed, the term is commonly misapplied. It's become a synonym for a form of machine learning using deep neural networks. That's somewhat unfortunate, as even microscopic worms have central nervous systems, yet nobody would consider them "intelligent".

That's a misuse of the term "brute force", but I think I know what she means. A "brute force search" means literally trying every single parameter combination. As AI models are typically comprised of millions of parameters, each typically represented by 8 to 16 bits (and sometimes more), that's quite impossible.

The way AI training works is to feed lots of examples through a weighted network that's either seeded with random values or based on a previous training. You then compute the amount of error at the outputs, using some loss function that represents how "good" the answer is. The error terms are fed backwards through the network to converge each weight towards a more optimal value, using a numerical optimization method. The simplest of these is Newton's Method.
Anyway, you do that repeatedly, and the network starts to find patterns in the data which enable it to make the correct decisions more and more of the time. At each iteration, you can test the accuracy of the current parameters to see how well it's doing and whether it's converging.

Lots of real-world problems don't have a closed-form solution. Any solution a human programmer or engineer would devise necessarily involves ad hoc metrics, heuristics, and parameters. To the extent your solution has parameters, you want to optimize them according to your data. This starts you down the path of numerical optimization and machine learning. Deep learning is usually where you end up. Contrary to popular belief, effectively applying deep learning often requires not only having a good understanding of the technique, but also having insights into the problem domain and understanding what are the "hard problems" that would benefit from the approach.

Back to the point about "brute force" - there's a certain aspect of "simply shoving lots of data through it" that might seem rather clunky. I take it that's what she means. That's not the only method, but it's the most basic and common. Training always involves a lot more computation than inferencing or applying a trained network on real data.
Although I appreciate the intricacies of what people call “AI”, I tend to agree with Steve Wozniak’s assessment in that “AI is artificial, but it is not intelligent”.

https://stories.forcit.co/artificia...igent-according-to-steve-wozniak-b4c26100bfdc

Reactions: KyaraM

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Although I appreciate the intricacies of what people call “AI”, I tend to agree with Steve Wozniak’s assessment in that “AI is artificial, but it is not intelligent”.
He's right ...until he's not. That was published like 5 years ago and the tech is continually evolving.

But, anyway, discussion of "intelligence" is something of a distraction. There are many useful tasks that don't require full, general intelligence. Again, we can look to our animal and insect friends to see just how much you can accomplish with varying degrees of intelligence.

Jul 7, 2022
He's right ...until he's not. That was published like 5 years ago and the tech is continually evolving.

But, anyway, discussion of "intelligence" is something of a distraction. There are many useful tasks that don't require full, general intelligence. Again, we can look to our animal and insect friends to see just how much you can accomplish with varying degrees of intelligence.

I’m not disagreeing with you on the usefulness of the technology (I agree it can be very helpful in solving complex problems)
But today’s AI is not intelligent at all, it’s proper name is statistical prediction/modeling. This is a problem with the fallacy of this technology’s name “AI”. The famous “Chinese Room Argument” comes to mind.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-artificial-intelligence-isnt-intelligent-11627704050

https://towardsdatascience.com/artificial-intelligence-can-never-be-truly-intelligent-227fe9149b65

https://www.ibtimes.com/ai-not-real-how-intelligent-artificial-intelligence-2865698

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
today’s AI is not intelligent at all, it’s proper name is statistical prediction/modeling.
That's not quite right. It's trained on aggregates of data, but the resulting network isn't like a probability density function. And, although the outputs tend to be in the continuous domain, they usually don't typically represent probabilities, in a strict sense.

It does work by learning patterns in the data and/or loss functions, but these patterns can be complex, time-varying, and involving higher-order features and intermediate representations. It's not a stretch to say that deep neural networks can learn and represent "concepts".

I wouldn't get hung up on the issue of "intelligence". We ought to know its capabilities and limitations, without being dismissive. Most people singing the tune of "AI isn't intelligent", seem to be looking for a way to diminish it. That's ultimately not helpful, and perhaps almost as dangerous as overestimating it.

D

Deleted member 14196

Perhaps we are only dismissing it for now, until it gets better. That’s my stance

D

Deleted member 14196

I’m not disagreeing with you on the usefulness of the technology (I agree it can be very helpful in solving complex problems)
But today’s AI is not intelligent at all, it’s proper name is statistical prediction/modeling. This is a problem with the fallacy of this technology’s name “AI”. The famous “Chinese Room Argument” comes to mind.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-artificial-intelligence-isnt-intelligent-11627704050

https://towardsdatascience.com/artificial-intelligence-can-never-be-truly-intelligent-227fe9149b65

https://www.ibtimes.com/ai-not-real-how-intelligent-artificial-intelligence-2865698
Great articles! Nice work. These are my thoughts exactly. Will it get better? Most likely it’s just not there yet.

I’m with the guys in the last article as well. It’s not artificial intelligence. It’s merely automation at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I saw eyes.....o_O (a little unnerving if you think about the AI spying on us)
Some of them definitely have a sort of HAL 9000 vibe. I presumed that was intentional?

81px-Hal_9000_Panel.svg.png

...or maybe the AI was just having us on?!
; )

Daedolus

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
You'd still need a designer to actually make the blueprints though. I mean, I doubt the "AI" can do that. And additionally there is the issue of copyright, as the AI may have been using parts of designs already existing and just copied it without really creating it on its own.

AI's don't kitbash images together, nor does it have access to the design of the original cases. These designs are no different or any less legal than someone looking at case and creating their own spinoffs.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Have to say...looking at those cases, they look even worse than the whole RGB-themed trend I've seen way too often in the past few years. Yes, I game with my PC. But I know that (just like with a car) fancy lights & stripes don't make it go faster. It's going to sit under my computer desk, mostly out of sight, & just needs to make sure there's enough airflow to keep my PC running cool. These cases are f***ing ugly, & look way too much like "modern art". Call me a grognard, a curmudgeon, all you want. I'll stick with classic black metal/plastic units.

I'm not sure just what all the cobbled guts inside those cases is supposed to be, but in order to be even remotely taken serious you'd hope that a case designed by an AI would at the least include ACTUAL components inside. Not some nightmare hodgepodge combination of quantum and bio-neural components haphazardly crammed into some Douglas Adams-esque science fiction chassis. Sure, they look kind of cool. A couple of them even actually look almost believable. But most of those just look like nonsense designs with nice shiny paint jobs.
Everything you see is just the case, and it will be priced at $5,000. The actual PC will be a $25 Raspberry Pi hidden in a small compartment in back.

With the clickbait title, I was expecting some sort of software that takes into account detailed airflow patterns, component clearances and accessibility, resulting in improved case designs, but this just seems to be yet another broken image generator trained on photos of concept PC cases from trade shows.