News AIDA64 Hints Intel's Return To HEDT Market With Alder Lake-X

honestly would welcome it back (as competition keeps prices lower) but....12900k already has thermal issues & there are still cases where e cores don't play nice still (so potential issue at least in some cases)

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
honestly would welcome it back (as competition keeps prices lower) but....12900k already has thermal issues & there are still cases where e cores don't play nice still (so potential issue at least in some cases)
Would have to think the X version will do away with the e cores, which would also allow Intel to bring back AVX 512. Previous gen Cascade Lake X has a 165TDP and overclocking could send power usage into the stratosphere. Threadripper TDP tops out a 280W. HEDT is accustomed to high power usage.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
Intel will add 8 more E-cores on Raptor Lake while remaining on the same Intel-7 process used on Alder Lake, so I presume they could create a 24 core Alder Lake HEDT. Or maybe drop to 6 P cores and add 16 E-cores.

I haven't seen much about a SPR-X/Fishhawk Falls HEDT/workstation since the initial rumors.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
On one hand, it would be nice to see a P core only HEDT version of Alder Lake with AVX512. On the other hand, desktop ADL can use 300+ watts with only 8 P cores enabled. I would guess higher count counts with AVX512 would require MUCH lower clock speeds to make it practical, and I'm not sure how competitive that would end up being.