GhosTsReapeR

Honorable
Jan 27, 2016
Greetings,

So this is my first build in years, I'm using Thermaltake view 71 case,

Heres my current setup :
3 front fans as intakes.
3 top fans as intakes.
Mid mounted AiO " Right behind the front fans " exhaust to the side.
Back fan as exhaust.

I've seen a couple of videos on youtube conning the mounting of AiO with the tube on the top, but mine does not reach if i mount the tube on the bottom.
Heres my question/s :
How should i setup the optimal airflow for my case?
Is there too many intakes with little exhausts?
Should i mount the AiO on the top? if so should it be intakes or exhaust? also what of the top mounted fans? do i mount them in the middle? as intakes?
Also should i add an intake/exhaust fan at the bottom?

Here's a photo of my setup; Photo

Thanks in advance,

Solution
1)Then mount the radiator up top, with the tubing towards the back. No more stretch.

2)Gonna have to break this down...
[To be more clear, the current top fans that i will take off, to install the radiator in its place, i cant have the radiator with fans on both sides, there's no place for that]
Of course. You move them to the side panel area.

[So i will move the radiator and it's fans to the top and the current fans on top, what do i do with them?]
You move them to the side panel area.

[if i install them on the sides " the current place of the radiator" they will be exhaust and taking out fresh cool air coming from the front fans,.]
Yep. No different from what it was before, except for 2 things:
-there's no scary stretch.
-the pump...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's... a bit of a mess. Though, if you're not experiencing any serious thermal issues, then don't worry about it, I guess.
But since you're asking about it, I'll point out some things anyway.
1)That is a bit of a stretch on the hybrid cooler's tubing.

2)You have front intake, only for it to get sucked right out... so only the hybrid cooler gets air... what's the point of that?

3)Top intake isn't doing much either:
-gets sucked right out the side exhaust
-gets sucked right out the rear exhaust
-whatever manages to get past the 2 exhausts runs into the gpu's exhaust...
Bottom line, it's doing jack all.

4)Lastly, and this is the most important one:
None of what I said above matters - save for the 1st one - because of the Thermaltake View 71's design; it's not sealed - it has open seams everywhere.
There are too many gaps in the chassis; air flows all over the darn place. You can set up your fans however you want and still not run into thermal issues.
This chassis has its own set of rules regarding airflow: there are no rules.

Geez, that's a stretch on those tubes though...

GhosTsReapeR

Honorable
Jan 27, 2016
That's... a bit of a mess. Though, if you're not experiencing any serious thermal issues, then don't worry about it, I guess.
But since you're asking about it, I'll point out some things anyway.
1)That is a bit of a stretch on the hybrid cooler's tubing.

2)You have front intake, only for it to get sucked right out... so only the hybrid cooler gets air... what's the point of that?

3)Top intake isn't doing much either:
-gets sucked right out the side exhaust
-gets sucked right out the rear exhaust
-whatever manages to get past the 2 exhausts runs into the gpu's exhaust...
Bottom line, it's doing jack all.

4)Lastly, and this is the most important one:
None of what I said above matters - save for the 1st one - because of the Thermaltake View 71's design; it's not sealed - it has open seams everywhere.
There are too many gaps in the chassis; air flows all over the darn place. You can set up your fans however you want and still not run into thermal issues.
This chassis has its own set of rules regarding airflow: there are no rules.

Geez, that's a stretch on those tubes though...

I don’t remember stretching the tubes, but I will re-check them,

as for #1; is it fine the way it is mounted? Does it really affect its lifespan?

#2; mainly yes, the front intakes is to feed cool air into the AiO, is that wrong?

#3, so should I turn them into exhausts? To better the airflow “ using the hot air goes up logic”, and install an intake at the bottom instead?

#4, it’s the GPU, it gets hot during gaming, it runs at 80c, and I want to improve the airflow to it to try and keep it at cooler temperatures.
What do you suggest ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
as for #1; is it fine the way it is mounted? Does it really affect its lifespan?
Oh right! That one slipped my mind. That's not very good for another reason.
Tubing up can work as long as the pump isn't the highest point of the loop. That looks really close.
With vertically mounted radiators, it's still worse than tubing down for noise and longevity; as fluid permeates the tubes over the years, air will make its way into the pump.
It'd be safer to mount that unit up top.

#2; mainly yes, the front intakes is to feed cool air into the AiO, is that wrong?

#3, so should I turn them into exhausts? To better the airflow “ using the hot air goes up logic”, and install an intake at the bottom instead?

#4, it’s the GPU, it gets hot during gaming, it runs at 80c, and I want to improve the airflow to it to try and keep it at cooler temperatures.
What do you suggest ?
None of it matters because your chassis' design defeats the usual cooling practices.
There's no pressure because the chassis has too many gaps; it's practically 'open'.

80C is fine for gpu operating thermals.
The chassis isn't suffocating the gpu at all... if you want better gpu thermals, you're gonna have to change the cooler.

GhosTsReapeR

Honorable
Jan 27, 2016
Oh right! That one slipped my mind. That's not very good for another reason.
Tubing up can work as long as the pump isn't the highest point of the loop. That looks really close.
With vertically mounted radiators, it's still worse than tubing down for noise and longevity; as fluid permeates the tubes over the years, air will make its way into the pump.
It'd be safer to mount that unit up top.

None of it matters because your chassis' design defeats the usual cooling practices.
There's no pressure because the chassis has too many gaps; it's practically 'open'.

80C is fine for gpu operating thermals.
The chassis isn't suffocating the gpu at all... if you want better gpu thermals, you're gonna have to change the cooler.

Ok so for #1 I should mount it at the top as intakes.
Move the top fans to the middle as intakes as well.
So the end result will be
3 front intakes
3 mid intakes
Top AiO as intakes as well
1 rear exhaust.

Correct?

or it would be better if I had the AiO at the top as exhaust? “Assuming that there is no issue it sucking supposedly not cool air from the inside out”

excuse me if I’m a slow understander.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I agree that the hybrid cooler should be mounted up top, that way, there's some extra slack in the tubing.

I can say nothing else regarding intake/exhaust because your chassis doesn't follow the usual rules because of all the gaps. It allows you a certain kind of flexibility that can't be done with a typical chassis.

GhosTsReapeR

Honorable
Jan 27, 2016
I agree that the hybrid cooler should be mounted up top, that way, there's some extra slack in the tubing.

I can say nothing else regarding intake/exhaust because your chassis doesn't follow the usual rules because of all the gaps. It allows you a certain kind of flexibility that can't be done with a typical chassis.

Great thanks, this leaves me with last 2 points:

1: if I mount the tube on top it would be the same distance as it stands now from the CPU, so if there’s a stretch issue it won’t be solved
2: if I mount it on top, and mount the top fans in the middle as intakes, then it ruins the look of the setup, is there a way to flip the blades or something similar? To mount it properly and have the RGBs face the insides of the case

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)???
Mounting the radiator up top should be a shorter distance to cover(tubing), and there should be 2 ways to mount it up there: tubing curving towards the front, or curving towards the back.

2)Fans in the middle of what? It's either the radiator above the fans, or the fans above the radiator.
Since you care about looks, there's only one way to do this: radiator above the fans, fans as exhaust(push).

GhosTsReapeR

Honorable
Jan 27, 2016
1)???
Mounting the radiator up top should be a shorter distance to cover(tubing), and there should be 2 ways to mount it up there: tubing curving towards the front, or curving towards the back.

2)Fans in the middle of what? It's either the radiator above the fans, or the fans above the radiator.
Since you care about looks, there's only one way to do this: radiator above the fans, fans as exhaust(push).

1) If the tube is on top of the CPU then yes, if its on the other side then it have the same distance as its currently mounted.

2) fans in the middle of the case, Side fans they're called? in the current place of the radiator.
To be more clear, the current top fans that i will take off, to install the radiator in its place, i cant have the radiator with fans on both sides, there's no place for that, So i will move the radiator and it's fans to the top and the current fans on top, what do i do with them? if i install them on the sides " the current place of the radiator" they will be exhaust and taking out fresh cool air coming from the front fans,.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Then mount the radiator up top, with the tubing towards the back. No more stretch.

[To be more clear, the current top fans that i will take off, to install the radiator in its place, i cant have the radiator with fans on both sides, there's no place for that]

[So i will move the radiator and it's fans to the top and the current fans on top, what do i do with them?]

[if i install them on the sides " the current place of the radiator" they will be exhaust and taking out fresh cool air coming from the front fans,.]
-the pump is guaranteed no longer taking in air. The pump should always stay wet; better that air gets stuck in the radiator.
As I said before, the View 71 is unique in that the whole intake/exhaust thing doesn't apply to it.

Solution

GhosTsReapeR

Honorable
Jan 27, 2016

-the pump is guaranteed no longer taking in air. The pump should always stay wet; better that air gets stuck in the radiator.
As I said before, the View 71 is unique in that the whole intake/exhaust thing doesn't apply to it.

Ok yes i understand you now, just a little note :

in this "Yep. No different from what it was before "

Before, it was taking in cool air, cooling the radiator, then pushing it out the side.
So it was doing its job, bringing cool air and pushing it to the radiator's fans.
Now, it will take cool air, do nothing with it and push it out the side immediately,
Wouldnt this render them both useless? "both as in current front and current top fans"

GhosTsReapeR

Honorable
Jan 27, 2016
Then flip them to intake - it might not look as nice(subjective).
It matters little due to the View 71's very open design.

Alright i got it now, one last question, How serious/critical is the current mistake of radiator tube being on top?

I only flipped the top fans to be exhausts and the airflow is much better i guess because the temperature of the GPU have improved.
Which was my main concern and its fixed now.

Is it a must, Will it cause damage in the long run? or When/how should i know if its time to definitely move it to the top panel.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Alright i got it now, one last question, How serious/critical is the current mistake of radiator tube being on top?
Where it was in the picture?
1)With a stretch like that, it was possible for a fitting to come loose over time, and then you'd have a leak on your hands.
2)Air can make its way into the pump. Air in pump is bad for the life of the pump, as well as performance.

GhosTsReapeR

Honorable
Jan 27, 2016
Where it was in the picture?
1)With a stretch like that, it was possible for a fitting to come loose over time, and then you'd have a leak on your hands.
2)Air can make its way into the pump. Air in pump is bad for the life of the pump, as well as performance.

I checked it, it is not stretched really, maybe it is the angle of the photo showing it that way, but its definitely not stretched, so it only is down to the air in the pump.

is there a way i can know when there's too much air in the pump?

GhosTsReapeR

Honorable
Jan 27, 2016
It's not a matter of 'too much air in the pump', but that air gets in the pump, period.
-high operating thermals
-sounds like 'gurgling' or water dripping

I see, Thank you, I will keep it as it is for now temporarily as the current thermals are alright, If I noticed CPU thermals going up I will swap it with the top fans immediately.

Reactions: Phaaze88