[SOLVED] AIO effectiveness

TM1172

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
Hey all,

I was playing Outer Worlds recently and checked my CPU (Ryzen 9 5900x) temps - I was hovering at about 81c.
The CPU is being cooled by an EVGA CLC 280 with Arctic P14 PWM PST replacement fans. It’s in a Lian Li O11 dynamic case with an EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Gaming Ultra (stock cooler) and a Super Flower Leadex III 850. I have intake fans on the side and bottom with the AIO in push config on top.
Do you think I would see a drop in temps if I installed a hybrid AIO kit on the 3080 with the fans in exhaust config on the side? I was thinking probably the reason I was getting high CPU temps was that the 3080 was just flooding the case with 80c air, in a case which isn’t great for air cooling. Ambient temps are about 26-28 in the room, and AIO fans/pump are all maxed.
Final note, I know that 80 is perfectly safe for 5900x’s, but I’m looking to keep it slightly cooler if possible.
Thanks!

Solution
Copy/paste of my usual 'how to test if you need a cooler' post:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cooler Troubleshooting and Questions

High CPU and GPU temperatures:

This could be caused by a few different things, please don't automatically assume 'the cooler is not working' without also checking if the case airflow is sufficient.

Remove the side panel of the PC case. Orient a house fan (desk or box style fan) to blow air into the case, directly over components at the highest setting.

This will represent a case with the best possible airflow possible. For reference, the fans I am providing as examples would look like the items below (just to clarify for anyone who might want reference)...
D

Deleted member 1560910

Its the GPU heat going into the radiator which is causing high temps. Let me guess the rad is mounted on the top. 80c would make me nervous . If your case has bad airflow then why buy a gpu that is only going to blow hot air in the case. People hate on the blower style cooler but they work great for situations like this. I prefer them. any time i can take heat out of my case i take it.

TM1172

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
Its the GPU heat going into the radiator which is causing high temps. Let me guess the rad is mounted on the top. 80c would make me nervous . If your case has bad airflow then why buy a gpu that is only going to blow hot air in the case. People hate on the blower style cooler but they work great for situations like this. I prefer them. any time i can take heat out of my case i take it.

A fair question. I think the eventual goal is to go full water-cooled - my build is almost always under construction because I got bit by the building bug. I got the 3080 FTW3 because I had an EVGA card that qualified for step-up, and it was the only one I could get at MSRP. I’ve used blower cards before and just don’t like the noise, but that’s a good suggestion in this case. Thanks for the response.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Hey all,

I was playing Outer Worlds recently and checked my CPU (Ryzen 9 5900x) temps - I was hovering at about 81c.
The CPU is being cooled by an EVGA CLC 280 with Arctic P14 PWM PST replacement fans. It’s in a Lian Li O11 dynamic case with an EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Gaming Ultra (stock cooler) and a Super Flower Leadex III 850. I have intake fans on the side and bottom with the AIO in push config on top.
Do you think I would see a drop in temps if I installed a hybrid AIO kit on the 3080 with the fans in exhaust config on the side? I was thinking probably the reason I was getting high CPU temps was that the 3080 was just flooding the case with 80c air, in a case which isn’t great for air cooling. Ambient temps are about 26-28 in the room, and AIO fans/pump are all maxed.
Final note, I know that 80 is perfectly safe for 5900x’s, but I’m looking to keep it slightly cooler if possible.
Thanks!

I think it would; the 3080 would certainly benefit from an AIO. Doing it for exhaust sounds solid if your goal includes lowering the CPU temps. The GPU can take more heat than CPU, and is cooled better with AIO than CPUs. Mounting it as exhaust won't affect its performance (and longevity) as much.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Copy/paste of my usual 'how to test if you need a cooler' post:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cooler Troubleshooting and Questions

High CPU and GPU temperatures:

This could be caused by a few different things, please don't automatically assume 'the cooler is not working' without also checking if the case airflow is sufficient.

Remove the side panel of the PC case. Orient a house fan (desk or box style fan) to blow air into the case, directly over components at the highest setting.

This will represent a case with the best possible airflow possible. For reference, the fans I am providing as examples would look like the items below (just to clarify for anyone who might want reference)

nI6vx5v.jpg
2GBempv.jpg

Re-test as you have normally done - play games, run benchmarks, etc. to get to where temperatures were normally seen to be higher than they should. Normal room temperature is usually between 20-24C or 68-75F. Please note that every air or liquid cooler operates as a product of delta-T over ambient, meaning that if the PC is operational (simply turned on), it is impossible for the CPU to display a temperature below ambient room temperatures. If it is, this is likely a bug in software temperature reporting either from the desktop UI or the BIOS reading it incorrectly.

With the fan running at full speed, if temperatures drop by 5-7C or more, case airflow is one major issue to contend with. You will need additional fans or better fans for your setup in order to optimize air in and out of the chassis. This might even require consideration for a new PC case or leaving the side panel partially open during sessions of heavier computing until these items are corrected.

If your temperatures remain relatively the same (difference less than 1-2C), then you likely have an issue with the cooler in question (if CPU is hot, CPU cooler, if GPU is hot, GPU cooler). It would be good to then approach the next steps by thoroughly cleaning the cooler with compressed or canned air and ensuring there are not large blockages in cooling fins or on fans, etc. This might require the cooling fans to be removed from the heatsink or radiator to ensure there is not a buildup of pet hair, dust or even carpet fibers which can trap additional debris. Please ensure the PC is turned off and unplugged during this process to prevent unwanted startup to keep fingers safe from fan blades or accidental shorting if you happen to drop a screw onto other components during fan removal.

Removal of the cooler and re-application of thermal paste & re-seating the cooler can also be beneficial once cleaning of the cooler is ruled out by retesting the steps above.

Solution