Question AIO fan flow

Aug 10, 2024
I am building a new computer using a Strix Z790-e wifi II board. Actually, this is two questions, but the primary one is regarding the AIO cooler installation. The way I have my setup going so far is that I have 5 intake fans, and 4 exhaust fans. However, three of the exhaust fans are on the AIO radiator, and I saw a video that makes me question this arrangement. The AIO is mounted at the top of the case with the fans below pushing air up through the radiator. Should the fans be inverted to make them intake fans and pull outside air down through the radiator? This is the first time I've worked with radiators, so any info will be appreciated.

The second question is what is the reasoning behind putting a pair of DIMM modules in the A2 and B2 slot before putting them in the A1 and B1 slots. Logic to me says the no 1 slots should be populated before the no 2s.

Thanks again.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Should the fans be inverted to make them intake fans and pull outside air down through the radiator?
If you do that, you'll get extreme positive pressure and hotspots inside the PC, since: 5x intake (i guess 3x front and 2x bottom, or 4x front and 1x bottom) + 3x fans on the top (rad fans) = 8x intake fans and 1x rear exhaust fan.

But if you keep it as is, whereby following airflow rule of thumb: front and bottom - intake; top and rear - exhaust, even then you'd have slight positive pressure. Since;
3x front intake
2x bottom intake
3x top exhaust
1x rear exhaust

Resulting in one extra intake fan over exhaust fans.

The AIO is mounted at the top of the case with the fans below pushing air up through the radiator.
With top mounted rad, i'd install the case fans between the PC case and rad, and not at the bottom of the rad. While having fans at the bottom of the rad gives more eyecandy (if you're using unicorn puke fans), on maintenance aspect, it is actually far worse.

Reason why, here:
(at 03:45)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyC3lZ5WFMk#t=3m45s

The second question is what is the reasoning behind putting a pair of DIMM modules in the A2 and B2 slot before putting them in the A1 and B1 slots. Logic to me says the no 1 slots should be populated before the no 2s.
In daisy-chain topology, which most MoBo RAM slots are configured in, the further RAM slot is usually favored more than the closer once. Hence why put RAM into A2 and B2 slots, compared to A1 and B1 slots.

Further, in-depth description here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vQwGGbW1AE

I am building a new computer using a Strix Z790-e wifi II board. Actually, this is two questions, but the primary one is regarding the AIO cooler installation. The way I have my setup going so far is that I have 5 intake fans, and 4 exhaust fans. However, three of the exhaust fans are on the AIO radiator, and I saw a video that makes me question this arrangement. The AIO is mounted at the top of the case with the fans below pushing air up through the radiator. Should the fans be inverted to make them intake fans and pull outside air down through the radiator? This is the first time I've worked with radiators, so any info will be appreciated.

Thanks again.
About AIO cooling, Best position to cool CPU is radiator as intake in front. In any case. radiator fans are also part of case cooling and for that, back and top are best places for exhaust fans and therefore radiator fans. Balancing airflow is just as important so in case of radiator fans being used as intake at top, rear fan would also have to be intake and front or bottom as exhaust and that could be inconvenient. Cases are optimized for conventional cooling setup and that's Front/Bottom as intake and Back/Top as exhaust.
As for RAM placement, most modern MBs are configured so primary memory channel is A2 and B2 as that's most usual number of RAM sticks and they are 2nd and 4th slots counting from CPU. With ever increasing RAM module height, 1st A1 slot usually interfere with also increasing CPU air coolers.