[SOLVED] AIO Fractal s36 - Where to plug it in on motherboard???

Apr 21, 2020
Hi, I have installed an S36 AIOCPU cooler but not sure what header to use on the Motherboard ( ASUS ROG Crosshair VI HERO ). The MB has several fan headers associated with the CPU, these being the CPU fan, CPU OPT and also an AIO Pump. Problem is when I plug the AIO into the designated header I get an error message and the system will not post. If I plug it into the CPU Fan slot the system posts but I am not sure if the 3 radiator fans run at the optimum speeds etc ( there headers are built into the S36 rad case).I think I. have the AIO set to PWM mode though I am not really sure how this works !! )
Can anyone help with this conundrum
Cheers

Solution
The FD Celcius series is a simple AIO. It only has a single wire on the pump head. That wire can connect to any fan header. The fans go to a 3way splitter and then any fan header.

Most all companies will recommend the pump goto cpu_fan and the fans to a sys_fan header. This is because the fans have an expected lifespan 2x that of the pump. So if the pump fails, being on cpu_fan, it'll trip the low rpm warning as generously explained by Paperdoc. This means the fans respond to motherboard temps, not cpu temps.

The other way, which is generally preferred by most, is do it the opposite way. The pump only needs 12v power, so can go on any sys_fan header. The fans are something ppl want to respond to cpu temps, so get put on cpu_fan...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Agreed, use the CPU_FAN header. We often lose sight of the IMPORTANT second function of that header. It pays special attention to the speed of its device to monitor for FAILURE, and many mobos will take drastic and swift action to shut down if the CPU cooler fails. That is why it will not let you boot up with nothing plugged in there to send a speed signal. In an AIO system, the critical component that MUST work for CPU cooling to happen is the pump, so no doubt it will be checking that and it may actually display for you the "Fan Speed" of the CPU cooler when it is really the PUMP speed. (You may never "see" the real speeds of the fans on the rad.)

What I gather from the info in the system manual on p. 11 is that, if you set to "Auto", the system will do its own control of pump and fan speeds according to its own internal measurement of water temperature. If you set it to PWM, it will allow the mobo's CPU_FAN automatic control system to do that job, and that is based on the temperature sensor built into the CPU chip. BUT the S36 adds its own precaution of ensuring that both the pump and the rad fans cannot go below a minimum speed no matter what the CPU_FAN header tells it to do, even ramping up that min speed if the S36's own water temp reading gets high.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The FD Celcius series is a simple AIO. It only has a single wire on the pump head. That wire can connect to any fan header. The fans go to a 3way splitter and then any fan header.

Most all companies will recommend the pump goto cpu_fan and the fans to a sys_fan header. This is because the fans have an expected lifespan 2x that of the pump. So if the pump fails, being on cpu_fan, it'll trip the low rpm warning as generously explained by Paperdoc. This means the fans respond to motherboard temps, not cpu temps.

The other way, which is generally preferred by most, is do it the opposite way. The pump only needs 12v power, so can go on any sys_fan header. The fans are something ppl want to respond to cpu temps, so get put on cpu_fan.

The pump can go on AIO_pump, and the fans should go to cpu_fan, not the case controller. If there's no rpm reading from aio_pump header, it's because it's a 12v unregulated power header, not a controlled fan header. In that case, use cpu_opt instead.

The Celsius series does not need Cam to run correctly, it will operate as it needs to by itself or bios overrides. Any monitoring software such as HWInfo64 or MSI Afterburner will read header rpm, although use of Cam will enable user/software set curves for the pump and/or fans

Solution