[SOLVED] Aio on Asus rampage 3 extreme

Oct 14, 2021
I have an asus rampage 3 extreme, my question is can i use an aio on that board. I've looked at the motherboard layout and it has 2 headers that i can see that relates to cpu. CPU_FAN, and PWR_FAN (under PWR_FAN pin description is has GND, CPU FAN PWR, CPU IN, CPU FAN PWM. The aio i'm thinking of using as it supports LGA 1366 is DEEPCOOL Gammaxx L240 V2, AIO Liquid CPU Cooler or Deepcool Captain 240PRO V2 AIO CPU Liquid Cooler. Can either of these work with my motherboard? and or do i require additional control units for pwr to the rgb?

Solution
Can either of these work with my motherboard? and or do i require additional control units for pwr to the rgb?
as long as you have the proper power connectors for whichever cooler you choose it will work fine with this motherboard.
most use either a SATA connection to the power supply,
a USB 2.0 connection to the motherboard,
or a AIO_PUMP 4pin header connection to the motherboard.
you would need to determine what you have available and choose a cooler offering those.

CPU_FAN header should be used for the fans that will be attached.
usually a cooler with multiple fans will have a built-in splitter for it's two or three fans to connect to and then the splitter will connect to the CPU_FAN header.

if it's an aRGB or RGB device it...
Can either of these work with my motherboard? and or do i require additional control units for pwr to the rgb?
as long as you have the proper power connectors for whichever cooler you choose it will work fine with this motherboard.
you would need to determine what you have available and choose a cooler offering those.

usually a cooler with multiple fans will have a built-in splitter for it's two or three fans to connect to and then the splitter will connect to the CPU_FAN header.

if it's an aRGB or RGB device it will usually connect to the corresponding motherboard LED header;
3pin aRGB or 4pin RGB.
you would need to check your motherboard manual to determine which, if any, you have available.

you may also need to measure the available space your case offers from the top of the motherboard to the ceiling and compare that to the thickness of the radiator & fans.
many cases are too small for a radiator plus fans to fit under the VRM heatsinks and/or the RAM.

Solution
Oct 14, 2021

if it's an aRGB or RGB device it will usually connect to the corresponding motherboard LED header;
3pin aRGB or 4pin RGB.
you would need to check your motherboard manual to determine which, if any, you have available.

you may also need to measure the available space your case offers from the top of the motherboard to the ceiling and compare that to the thickness of the radiator & fans.
many cases are too small for a radiator plus fans to fit under the VRM heatsinks and/or the RAM.

3pin aRGB or 4pin RGB.

Thanks for the info. I did a bit of digging and spoke with a tech over at deepcool. they helped me connect up the aio. got it all working now. I connected the Aio pump to the CPU_FAN header, and the radiator Fan to the FAN_PWR (using the supplied controller and fan hub) I can say i have a 13 degree drop in my cpu temp. just outstanding for the Deepcool Captain240Pro v2. on a standard air cooler i was getting close to 45 degrees Celsius after installing the aio i'm closer to 32-35.

As for the additional pwr needed i did connet the fan hub to a sata pwr from the power supply and then ran a single connection into the PWR_FAN header on the Motherboard.

I'm able to control the RGB using the supplied controller which is manual but for what it has achieved in cooling i can live with that.

Thanks again for the reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepCool_Phoenix

DeepCool_Phoenix

Official Forum Representative
Aug 10, 2021
Thanks for the info. I did a bit of digging and spoke with a tech over at deepcool. they helped me connect up the aio. got it all working now. I connected the Aio pump to the CPU_FAN header, and the radiator Fan to the FAN_PWR (using the supplied controller and fan hub) I can say i have a 13 degree drop in my cpu temp. just outstanding for the Deepcool Captain240Pro v2. on a standard air cooler i was getting close to 45 degrees Celsius after installing the aio i'm closer to 32-35.

As for the additional pwr needed i did connet the fan hub to a sata pwr from the power supply and then ran a single connection into the PWR_FAN header on the Motherboard.

I'm able to control the RGB using the supplied controller which is manual but for what it has achieved in cooling i can live with that.

Thanks again for the reply.
Glad to hear! I'm happy to help out. Let us know if you need anything else.