[SOLVED] Aio or air?

Apr 21, 2019
Hello, im going to upgrade from a gammaxx400 (with 2 cf120 fans in a push pull config) to an AIO (either gammaxxl240 or corsair h110 or basically an aio) . It will be cooling a ryzen 3 2200g but im planning to upgrade to ryzen 2600 (3600 is still expensive). But i've been researching on "leaks" and how often does it happen, i know aio WILL leak or break but im looking at something that won't break itself or the system for 3-4 years, i've heard corsair has great parts insurance (or something). So doing more research i found Gamer storm Fryzen a air cooler with looks and a great cooling (on threadripper at least) its cheaper than a corsair aio (but not their 120mm) i can also trust it to not leak liquid to my gpu (which is a 2060 super). I don't know what the temps of fryzen on AM4 but since it can cool the threadripper i guess good.

I don't know what to pick, do i stay at gammaxx400? or buy an aio and risk it? or buy the fryzen?
p.s. i chose fryzen because it looks good, i'am a big showoff guy and my pc is the centerpiece here at my room thats why i like the design of the fryzen and the cleanliness of aios

Solution
There's no difference in ability between air and aio, for the most part, you'd have to exceed 250w+ on the cpu to be beyond the largest air cooler capacity and firmly in 280/360mm aio territory.

120mm aios run @ 140w ability, same as budget aircoolers such as your Gammax or a hyper212 evo. Most 240mm are equitable to large towers, twin towers etc in ability, @ 200w+.

So an aio is basically just a different method of doing the same job as air. As far as price goes, that's iffy, depends on situation. CoolerMaster ML240R RGB runs $100, and will do the same job as a Noctua NH-D15S, at $80, but add 2x case RGB fans and you are closer to $120 to match looks. Most cases only supply 2 fans, so the included fans in an aio are a bonus, not...

Lutfij

Titan
You're going to be able to cool that processor with your current cooler. If you see the temps aren't to your liking, you can invest in a cooler later on. In fact the R5 2600 comes with a stock cooler so you should be fine without or without aftermarket cooling.

Apr 21, 2019
You're going to be able to cool that processor with your current cooler. If you see the temps aren't to your liking, you can invest in a cooler later on. In fact the R5 2600 comes with a stock cooler so you should be fine without or without aftermarket cooling.
what about for something like 2700x? or 2700? if their prices drop i will grab one of those

iSteven_6s

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Definitely air cooler. Noctua’s air coolers provide cooling equivalent to many mid range to high end AIOs, while costing about half as much. Besides, an air cooler is quieter since it only has one/two fans, compared to an AIO, which has a pump and 1-3 fans...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
AIO marketing lures in another victim.

It sounds like you already made a decision and wanted support in doing so. Ultimately, it is your money and your build, but sorry, an AIO just isn't always the best option. Just having a liquid cooler doesn't make it the best option and isn't going to offer the performance that full watercooling can provide. Also, nearly every AIO on the market is produced by one of 3-4 OEMs and re-branded. For example, Asetek is a primary OEM and you'll find that Corsair, NZXT and Cooler Master all use them. They just slap on different plastic shrouds and their own fans and shove them into a box with their logo on it.

In most instances, good air cooling is always a better, cheaper option, including high-end coolers from be quiet! and Noctua. Even at $90+ they are still a cheaper option than most 240 and 360 AIOs and can adequately cool nearly every CPU they're advertised to support.

Apr 21, 2019
You can run your current cooler, or go with the Noctua NH-U12A.

Advice: Try to get over feeding your ego so liberally.
You'll waste far less money, and experience far more happiness, over the course of your life.
Noctua in my country is either rare or out of stock, also thanks for the advice, my ego is really big when it comes to pc building as i like to showoff what i can build, but yes i think its time to lower that down.

Apr 21, 2019
AIO marketing lures in another victim.

It sounds like you already made a decision and wanted support in doing so. Ultimately, it is your money and your build, but sorry, an AIO just isn't always the best option. Just having a liquid cooler doesn't make it the best option and isn't going to offer the performance that full watercooling can provide. Also, nearly every AIO on the market is produced by one of 3-4 OEMs and re-branded. For example, Asetek is a primary OEM and you'll find that Corsair, NZXT and Cooler Master all use them. They just slap on different plastic shrouds and their own fans and shove them into a box with their logo on it.

In most instances, good air cooling is always a better, cheaper option, including high-end coolers from be quiet! and Noctua. Even at $90+ they are still a cheaper option than most 240 and 360 AIOs and can adequately cool nearly every CPU they're advertised to support.
Im not entirely lured since I don't want to sleep every night thinking that the next day liquid will find its way inside my pc. I will take the advise to stay air cooling, I can probably squeeze a bit more on that cooler.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I chose an Arctic 33 Esports Edition dual fan cooler for my Ryzen 5 2600 build last November and I am still Very happy with it.
My OC'd 2600 idles around 29-30C and maxes out around 55-56C after 3 or 4 hours of gaming.
It is similar to your GAMMAXX 400 but has 2 fans and is Black with white highlights n the fans.
So if I was you I would probably just keep your current cooler and see if I could add an extra fan to it if you upgrade your CPU later.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
If you get an AIO get an expandable one like a Swiftech. Other than that if you can fit a large air cooler they're a better option. Like rubix said they're all made by the same company, and use cheaper aluminum radiators that don't transfer heat as well as the copper and brass ones.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Im not entirely lured since I don't want to sleep every night thinking that the next day liquid will find its way inside my pc. I will take the advise to stay air cooling, I can probably squeeze a bit more on that cooler.

The likelihood that you'll encounter a leak is quite low.

There's also a possibility that a heatpipe cooler can have a faulty heatpipe. I've actually tested a couple coolers where this occurred.

Mass manufacturing always will have outliers and the better the Q/A testing is, the less likely this is bound to happen.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's no difference in ability between air and aio, for the most part, you'd have to exceed 250w+ on the cpu to be beyond the largest air cooler capacity and firmly in 280/360mm aio territory.

120mm aios run @ 140w ability, same as budget aircoolers such as your Gammax or a hyper212 evo. Most 240mm are equitable to large towers, twin towers etc in ability, @ 200w+.

So an aio is basically just a different method of doing the same job as air. As far as price goes, that's iffy, depends on situation. CoolerMaster ML240R RGB runs $100, and will do the same job as a Noctua NH-D15S, at $80, but add 2x case RGB fans and you are closer to $120 to match looks. Most cases only supply 2 fans, so the included fans in an aio are a bonus, not requiring additional fans for better case airflow.

Me personally, I prefer AIO's. I like the included software in most, that offers far better control over fan speeds, fan curves, without having to resort to SpeedFan or bios software. Setting my nzxt Kraken X61 to silent mode and setting monitor to liquid temps, not cpu temps, I get Zero fan ramp ups during idle when windows does its app loads, moving from 32° to @ 50° for a couple seconds. It's also far quieter than my Cryorig R1 Ultimate, even though the R1 is running on 300MHz lower OC.

So AIO's do have advantages, air has advantages, both have disadvantages, it's really a matter of personal taste for most pc's, there will always be exceptions though.

I've never had an AIO leak. Not in almost 20 years of using them. I've had 1 (Gigabyte) mobo warp and fail (higher humidity area) under a large air tower. I've had a top line Phanteks cooler with a warped base. I've got a mobo that will not seat a Raijintek Nemesis because the heatpipes contact the VRM heatsinks. There will always be failure rates, air or aio, what you see in videos etc is the extremes, disgruntled ppl blasting their issue. What you don't see is the videos of the 99% of the rest of users who have had zero issues.

Solution

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Right, no matter what you Google for, any time you search for 'failures' of something, you're bound to only find failures. You aren't going to find the success stories or approvals because of the nature of the inquiry. This is the same reason you don't see writing blogs about how great their cable television carrier is; they're only going to write where there is a negative.

Check the hardware listings on nearly every forum - there are A LOT of AIOs in use around the world.