Question Aio pump and case noise

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Aio pump noise and case noise

So I'm not sure if it's 100% the pump or linked to the case too...

Corsair iCUE 5000D RGB AIRFLOW Gaming Case - Black

Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX AMD Motherboard

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Zen 4 CPU

Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT 360mm AiO Liquid CPU Cooler in Black

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24GB OC GPU

Kingston FURY Beast RGB 32GB (2x 16GB) 6000MHz

Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB M.2-2280 SSD

Corsair RM850x 850W Modular 80+ Gold PSU

I have the above PC, the issue is if I leave the icue settings as presets the case and rad fans cause resonating sound issues which are sooo bad so I have to throttle everything to 700 rpm static speed any variable movement in rpm causes the vibration/resonating issue.

So I have fixed that by throttling fans but obviously this affects cooling and temps so I'm basically gimping my system to cure a sound issue... not on for this kinda price!

The 2nd issue is the pump has a squealing sound... doesn't matter if I set quiet standard or extreme its always there and can be heard over my headset while not gaming. Surely it can't be normal? I've googled it and some people say it's normal some say its noisy. I cant really record a clip as the phone doesn't pick it up properly. The issue is its there when I'm browsing the Internet even when watching twitch or YouTube... even some games which quiet parts and it really irritates me.

Anyway I'm not sure if it's also part of the case issue resonating causing it to be louder than it is but I can't throttle this fan it's locked at 3 presets.

So I'm at a crossroad here... I have 3 options.

Replace the cooler and try get the case fans moved to rubber fixings.

Replace the case and hope this issue goes away.

Refund the full PC and start again...

The repair options take around 2 weeks from collection and will cost me another £250...

Can anyone around here help me with this? Corsair support is terrible they want me to rma the parts... they don't even listen to what I'm telling them! Totally useless support.

Hope someone can help!

Cheers.

NorbertPlays

Proper
Jul 31, 2023
The H150i seems to have a bit of a reputation for a noisy pump so that bit is probably normal, which is both good and bad - good because it's not a sign of trouble, but bad because there's probably nothing you can do about it short of swapping it out completely.

Gamers Nexus found the 5000D Airflow to be pretty quiet, so I would be inclined to count that out as the culprit and instead look at the fans themselves. First, unscrew them all and run your PC for a bit to see whether they still make a noise (it'll be fine to run like this for a while as long as you don't load the CPU too heavily) - this will determine whether it's the fans themselves making the noise (the fluid bearing variant of the Corsair fans are apparently prone to odd noises at certain RPM ranges) or whether it's how they're interacting with the case. If it's the fans making the noise then either swap them out or maybe ditch the AIO entirely - I've never used that particular model myself and after a bit of research I intend to never use one! - but if the noise only happens when they're attached to something then rubber dampers or spacers may fix the problem.

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Hi, yeah I've read the same so swapping it out could be an option to fix the pump sound which is a shame as I'm trying to stay all icue... but this is an option.

The icue system allows me to control all the fans individually and I've tested all this thoroughly and it's both front and rad fans that will vibrate the case. I'm pretty sure it's 100% the case. Also a point I left out is my friend bought the exact same pc as me at the same time and hers does the same thing so I'm pretty certain it's the case regarding the fans but if the cooler issue is separate then I guess it makes my options pretty much swap case and cooler... which is a shame as I love how everything looks it's just the noise is too much.

Using an air cooler is not really possible due to how big the 4090 is... if I ever want to do anything in the case its gonna be a nightmare...

So I suppose now I need to find a new case and a new cooler... or is there anyway I can change the pump to a quieter pump?

Squeaking from a pump suggests to me a defect. I would return it.

Noise from a fan comes from running it at high rpm.
A 140mm fan will move more air at lower rpm than a 120mm fan.
One option might be to replace the front 120mm intakes with two 140mm fans.
Your cpu does not need exotic cooling.
Noctua maintains a list of suitable coolers for various processors.
Here is the list for your 7800X3D:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-7-7800X3D-1649
You have plenty of headroom to install the NH-D15S which uses a quiet 140mm fan.
Yes, it is a big cooler. It is offset to clear gpu backplates.
But, I don't understand why working on the case would be a problem.

If you like the case, keep it.
Looks count and is a personal thing.
There are many other options, but functionally, I see no advantage in changing out the case.

NorbertPlays

Proper
Jul 31, 2023
... or is there anyway I can change the pump to a quieter pump?
Short answer, no. Longer answer, yes, but it's waaaaaay more trouble than it's worth.
Noise from a fan comes from running it at high rpm.
Depends on the type of noise. I have a bunch of Thermaltake fans that are close to silent below 900RPM, they make the usual ffffffff airflow noise above 1000RPM, but when I first installed them whenever they got to between 900 and 1000 RPM there was a new noise, sort of a faint hum. After changing the fan orientations (I swapped some intake and exhaust fans around) to change the airflow pattern it's more or less gone, so I assume something inside the case was acting like a resonance chamber but the air is no longer hitting it at the same angle.

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Thanks for the replies its driving me nuts.

Basically the fans I have are silent but they cause the case to vibrate and cause a resonating sound unless set at 700rpm or below the default quiet setting is up to double this as it adjusts itself depending on temp and due to the fans going faster and changing speeds it causes the resonating sound which never stops until I stop the fans altogether. I dont mind fan normal noise it's eliminated with headphones anyway its the resonating vibrations that can be heard with a headset and I think the headset actually makes them worse! This I know is the cases fault I can feel the case vibrating too.

My graphics card doesn't make a peep even at 60% I can't hear the fans only above this are they noticeable and it never goes above 60% it never goes to 60% 30% tops.

Now the pump issue is a constant whine... its like meeeeeeeeeeeeee this is on standard setting on quiet its more high pitched and on extreme its ludicrous so standard is the best. I guess these aio pumps suck...

My cpu has hit 88.1C already with these settings so very close to throttling temps and I suspect that is due to me throttling the rad and case fans to 700rpm.

I picked the cooler and case for looks, I like the icue system it's so good to manage the fans and lights but both seem to a massive issue...

I can replace the aio with a noctua then I get brown chunk in the middle of my case... and then I'd need noctua rubber screws for the front intake fans which I think are also brown. I bet this would fix both issues but then I'd have an ugly pc.

My other option is replace the case and aio. I dunno which aio is the best for noise as this is pretty much one of the best I could find? I was looking at the 5000T case but it's not as nice although has better build quality so shouldn't vibrate hopefully!

Sorry for the mega wall but hopefully I've explained a bit better. I'm just gutted this PC cost £3300 and it annoys me to actually turn it on...

NorbertPlays

Proper
Jul 31, 2023
I have a Thermaltake TH360 and it's super quiet - I use my motherboard software to control fans and RGB (both for the AIO and the case fans), and 99% of the time I leave it on the "quiet" preset and can barely hear anything unless I really stress the system for a prolonged period. I mostly chose it for aesthetics as it was the only all-white one I could get hold of when I built the PC, but it seems to perform as well as it looks! (My Thermaltake case fans are less quiet at full tilt (they're a close visual match for the AIO fans, but they were pretty cheap so I wasn't expecting miracles from them), but I have 6 of them so I can pretty much keep them at minimum speed.)

As a heads up, mixing and matching different manufacturers' RGB controllers isn't too problematic if you use Signal RGB, so I wouldn't worry too much about sticking with Corsair.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
If a fan is unbalanced it will wobble more as the rpm increases. Not good.

Noctua coolers also come in black as do the fans.
The fans are very well constructed and come with mounting rubber and low noise adapters.
noctua are some of the best ..
ive found arctic P120s and P140s to be super quite im currently using 6 120s in push pull config on the arctic freezer ii 360mm and 2 140 in the bottom of a Lian li o11 Vision and apart from obvious fan noise its not loud at all and the AIO fans are set to 100% with the pump header ..

the P120s and P140s come in ARGB which most lighting software will control my rog aura lighting works a treat !!