Question AIO Pump Location

menehunes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Just bought a ID Cooling Zoomflow 240x and mounted it to the top of my case, and I am hearing gurgling for the first 10-30mins of the computer running after boot/waking. I thought the pump would be in the cpu block but im not to sure anymore. There is only 1 wire coming out of the cpu block, rgb im assuming, and theres an extra wire coming out of the radiator near where the tubes are. Does this confirm the pump is in the radiator? If so that means I need to move it to the front of the case with the pump down correct?

Pump is in the waterblock.

npDAgnQ.jpg

This will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about where to place things, for the most part.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

What are we looking at in the last picture there? Where are each of those coming from and why are they different? Plus, why does the one on the right look melted or damaged? Clearly the other one, coming from the pump, IS an RGB cable.

It seems to me like you are missing something. Another cable, or something. It looks like from this video, which comes straight from ID-Cooling and is for the Zoomflow 240, 240x and 360x, that the pump can be directly connected to a pump/fan header OR can be directly connected to SATA power by way of included adapter. If you follow these steps exactly, it should be correctly installed. If you connect the pump directly to a fan or pump header, be sure to configure that header in the BIOS as full time 100% speed and not variable speed controlled. Connecting via the SATA power adapter cable will automatically give it full speed operation.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSber8-2CTc

menehunes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I should have given explanation to each instead of just drawing circles, what makes sense to me doesn't necessarily make sense to others, sorry about that.

The last picture is the pin connector from the radiator circled in red going to a SATA connector for power, what is it powering I don't know. As for it looking melted, it's probably just the lighting as when I was doing this I didn't see any damage. But the pin connector going to the SATA only has 2 pins vs the 3 pin slots coming from the radiator cable. This cable, the one coming from the radiator, would be the one I would plug into the motherboard if I removed the SATA cable portion. Perhaps the 3rd missing pin is for some sort of control that the SATA cable clearly doesn't need since it's just power? Also just to perhaps clear up any confusion, the wire coming from the radiator isn't powering the fans, those were clearly separate and coming from the fans themselves when I installed them.

To put it simply, wire coming from radiator is hardwired in that ends in a 3 pin female connector. That's plugged into a 2 pin male SATA cable.

As for other wires that came with it, I only have the rgb controller switch. And as far as I can tell the cables coming out of the radiator and CPU block aren't removable and they don't have an extra alot to plug into them as well. I also read there are some "reports" on Amazon, where I bought it, that some do come with the pump in the radiator, but I don't know how much I should trust those.

Last edited:
The SATA connector powers the pump so the wiring must run to the pump through the sleeving on the radiator hoses. If there is only a single wire coming from the radiator and no wire coming from the pump, and that single wire is only connected to a SATA power cable, I don't know how it would be possible to set the radiator fan speeds. Seems like a really poor design to me but I'm sure that something is missing in the details here as reviews of these don't indicate any such thing and seem to indicate good performance. Or, I'm just stupid and not understanding at all.

Either way, if you have all the wiring connected properly as per the video link I posted, and the pump and fans are running, and you are hearing noticeably loud gurgling, I'd RMA the unit.

menehunes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Decided to RMA it and get a replacement of the same thing. Hopefully w/e is going on will be fixed, otherwise I may try to just get a refund and perhaps get a Coolermaster. I'll update this reply with anymore information in edits if anyone else runs across what I did in the future. Thanks for the help.

menehunes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Finally got my replacement in yesterday and put it in today. When I inspected the new AIO, I noticed not only were the power to the pump now attached to the block itself, but the section connected to the radiator where the tubes run into is noticeably smaller than the one I was having issues with. Below is a picture with them side by side, top is he one with the gurgling/noise issue.
Besides that difference, which makes me further believe the pump is in the radiator, there were some other minor differences that have 0 impact on performance. Fan wires were white instead of black, screws were silver instead of black, came with a different tube of thermal paste, pump power attached to CPU Block instead of radiator, and came with an adjustable backplate for a LGA1700. Honestly I think there may be some quality control issues relating to ID-COOLING, or perhaps them literally cutting corners and potentially lying regarding pump location. But this is just all speculation on my part, I could just be seriously unlucky.

Otherwise I am now running gurgle/noise free. Just wanted to give an update on what I found for anyone else looking.

That is some of the weirdest crap ever. But, not really that surprising from a fundamentally Chinese company. They tend to have some decent products for the price but it's definitely not the same level of QC as when dealing with more "western" companies, even when those companies have their manufacturing in China as well.