[SOLVED] AIO Tubing Mod

arthurrag

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
Hi,

I have a Corsair Hydro H105 AIO cooler. Id like to cut in to the hoses and splice in a peltier cooler. Has anyone ever cut in to AIO cooler lines and reassembled successfully?

Thanks

Solution
OK, but power that Peltier from something OTHER than your computer PSU....hopefully a separate power supply that came with it?

It's going to pull at least 7Amps--more, if it's a stacked junction block. Kludging it into your power distribution wouldn't be a good idea. If they provided a solution to actually connect it to your PSU, be very mindful as to not exceeding the capability of your PSU to handle the additional load.

arthurrag

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
Yes, My AIO is 5 years old. It doesnt seem to cool like it used to. Its getting below room temp that Im interested in. Maybe Ill try this and if it fails I will buy a new one. The system is old too.
When I go above 4.45Ghz it BSOD. the temps are in the mid to high 80's at that point. I have played with the core voltage up to 1.5volts but I have very similar results. I am wondering if it is temp related.
I figure this system is the one to play with rather than a new build.

MOBO ASUS X99 Deluxe U3.1
Memory Crucial 4x4 Battlestix 2400MHz
OS WIN 10
Boot Drive Samsung M.2 950 Pro 256GB
PS EVGA Supernova 750W
Storage Crucial M500 250GB
Crucial M550 1TB
Samsung EVO 850 500GB
Case Thermaltake Chaser MK-I
Cooling Corsair H105
Video GEFORCE GTX 750TI

OK, but power that Peltier from something OTHER than your computer PSU....hopefully a separate power supply that came with it?

It's going to pull at least 7Amps--more, if it's a stacked junction block. Kludging it into your power distribution wouldn't be a good idea. If they provided a solution to actually connect it to your PSU, be very mindful as to not exceeding the capability of your PSU to handle the additional load.

Solution

arthurrag

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
There is a brick power supply with it. I have been analyzing this idea for a while. If it works when I create my new build I will likely install a custom loop, (my first) and have an additional power supply just for the peltier. It is a Chill Solutions CSXC-1. I am hoping to be able to provide water to cool the CPU below room air temp. It might not work due to flow rate but I guess Ill see.
Thanks for yout ime and your replies.

USAFRet

Titan
Companion thread, for the fullness of history:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Murphy's Law is very evident in cpu cooling. It's one of the factors ppl consider a disadvantage in liquid cooling of any sort over an air cooler. With air cooling, there's only one point of failure from a device, the fan. With liquid cooling there's fan, pump, coolant, every connection. Now introduce peltier and that goes up again, power supply, connections, quality of contacts, quality of materials etc. With every possible point of failure being subject to Murphy's Law. And you want to Frankenstein an AIO/peltier loop, with a low flow, low pressure, non-distilled water coolant.

Cpu cooling is all about moderation. Especially of temps. I'd take a pc with constant 40-50°C temps from an oversized aio over a 20-30°C peltier all day. To the cpu, there's no difference. It works all the same under @ 70°C, no more effective or slower at 60° than at 30°. Which is where full custom loops shine. Moderation of temp, maintaining a constant, not extreme low.

Many are under the illusion that colder cpu is better, it's not. That's a byproduct of aircooling tech thinking where temps vary constantly from idle/ambient to load/extreme. So will bounce from 30° at idle to 60°+ under heavy loads, where cooling size and capacity are needed to cap the temp limits, and the more effective and efficient coolers like Noctua produces really can make a difference. Liquid doesn't work that way, especially not in custom loops. Liquids take a good long time to absorb enough heat energy to raise the coolant even 1°C, aircoolers being metal, take a second or less.

At 5 years old, that aio is suffering from only 1 condition, evaporation. There's been enough use/time that the chemical makeup of the coolant has broken down enough that oxygen molecules have bled through even the low evap tubing. Best solution (if you want to keep that aio) is to cut the tube, drain all the coolant, add distilled water/anti-fungal/anti-corrosion adative to top it off and a simple tubing splice to put it back together.

The addition of a peltier setup just raises any possibility of Murphy's Law application, which on that pc setup isn't warranted as ambient temps are not going beyond 40-45°C anyways.

In the fullness of my playing around with things like this--and I am genuinely more entertained by such things than I am by any movie or game that I might partake of--I found that my best cooling solution consisted of ducting the output from a room AC unit to the intake fans of my computer system. I never had to think of taking TμP down below ambient, because I lowered the local ambient so drastically.

Of course, it ain't cheap to maintain on an ongoing basis...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I realize this thread is 'solved' already, but you also have to account for the fact that while a radiator is meant to lower coolant temperatures, when you add something like a TEC/Peltier or chilled coolant while still using an ambient airflow radiator, you're also raising the coolant temp (closer to ambient) if it is chilled. Radiators don't just work one way - they're designed to equalize the coolant inside with the air outside...whatever that might be.

Basically, trying to do ambient and sub-ambient with the same cooler means you're fighting yourself.

Yes, My AIO is 5 years old. It doesnt seem to cool like it used to. ....

Just a guess but the fins in your water block are probably gunked up so it doesn't transfer heat to the liquid very well any more. Really common problem on older AIO's and Corsair's in particular.

Also be careful with any approach that cools below ambient, or room, temperature. Unless you're located in extreme low humidity area (high altitude desert) it can easily start condensing out moisture from the air which will ruin your motherboard.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Blah. That changes constantly with airborne humidity, temp, direct sun, shadow, air conditioning etc etc etc. You'd spend more time adjusting for local conditions, than actually using the pc to game.

Unless ambient temps are anywhere near 70ush °C, chilling below ambient for any serious length of time is a bad idea all around. Good if you are planning on world record stable speeds, bad for surfing the net.