Air cooling or water cooling CPU?

matthiasvdbroek3

Honorable
Oct 15, 2017
Hi guys,

I am struggling if i should buy just a normal CPU cooler with a fan(s)
or buy a CPU liquid cooler.
I'm very new to water cooling etc.
I'm not planning to buy a full water cooling setup, if you understand what i mean,
but more just a radiator with 2 fans, something like a Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240.
Since the prices are pretty similar with a good CPU fan cooler, which one should i get?

The reason for me to buy the water cooler is mostly just because i think it looks way better.

Are changes high that there will be a leak in the water cooling after a few years?

Hoop to hear from you guys,

Matthias

Solution
With an all-in-one liquid cooler there are different points of failure; more than an air cooler. At some point an AIO needs to be replaced as the effectiveness of the liquid becomes ineffective. I think it's thought that an AIO lasts for around five years of operation. At least this is how I understand AIOs.

Some would recommend a good air cooler because it will typically be as good as an AIO. Though AIOs should operate quieter (if noise is a factor in the decision).
With an all-in-one liquid cooler there are different points of failure; more than an air cooler. At some point an AIO needs to be replaced as the effectiveness of the liquid becomes ineffective. I think it's thought that an AIO lasts for around five years of operation. At least this is how I understand AIOs.

Some would recommend a good air cooler because it will typically be as good as an AIO. Though AIOs should operate quieter (if noise is a factor in the decision).

Solution

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

I actually thought it was the other way around and that water cooling tends to louder than air cooling. With water you have Pumps Plus fans, often more fans. All of these give out noise.

matthiasvdbroek3

Honorable
Oct 15, 2017

all right,thans for your answer.
The watercooler sounds also great, only thing is that if you buy a higher quality AIO you will probably spend more than 100$ i guess. For $50 you could get a pretty good air cooler, isn't it?

Do you know some good AIO, that are more like the 50$ range, and are pretty quiet?
Or some good aircoolers, that are around 50$ as well and also quiet?
I don't think i am going to spend an extra 50$, sice the only difference is the looks and a small difference in noise.

maybe asking you a lot lol.

Thankfully your assumptions are not right - so don't believe everything you think ;)

If you don't have the money, don't go AIO.
Who wants to put a cheap water product in their expensive computer?

USAFRet

Titan

Frequently, liquid coolers are louder than good air coolers.
Same size fan (or more), plus the pump and the moving liquid.

And sometimes they are quieter at a given temp level.

There is no 100% either way.