[SOLVED] Air flow Question

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
This image shows my current air flow (it wouldn't let me use the "picture" option to add it directly to the post so I had to link it).

PSU has air straight in and out, it does not feed the PCs internal air flow at all.
All intakes are filtered (either with a 120mm filter over the front of the fan (added by me) or the filter that came with the case for the PSU and bottom fan).

Air flow through front 2 fans is around 30-40CFM (give or take the one slightly faster fan).
Bottom fan is somewhere between 30-35CFM (give or take)
Bottom and front fans are OEM blue LED fans.
Top fans are somewhere between 30-47CFM each (one is controlled by CPU temperature (front one) and the other is on full power all the time)
Top fans came with the case
AIO fans are around 33-40CFM when CPU is under load and around 25-30CFM when idle.

I do have a spare 120MM LED fan - same spec as bottom fan - and an 80MM arctic F8 spare that could be used to convert to permanent positive pressure in the case if turning the AIO around is a better idea but I wanted advice from people as to the following:
a) Do I swap the AIO around?
b) Do I move the AIO to a top fan location instead of where it is to improve air flow and convert the rear fan to a standard exhaust?
c) If I turn the AIO around, should I add the 80mm below my DVD drive to increase flow into the case?

Please note, all CFM values are estimates based on a combination of max air flow specs and RPM - though the OEM blue LED ones are estimated air flow based on other listings as the listing I bought them from is no longer available to view on eBay.

Temperatures are on par with the evo 212 that got removed (case not big enough for it) and replaced by this cooler - except that when gaming, the NVME and motherboard temps are around 10 C higher than they were with the original setup (which I suspect is more to do with the change in air flow than anything else as I removed the 80mm from below DVD drive while i was installing this AIO).

Final note, I have 2 CPU fan headers but they both work in conjunction with each other in the BIOS so I have used my SYSFAN1 header for the CPU pump and set that to max all the time, but the CPU fan headers are set to temp controlled as silent config as the corsair fans (the AIO has push/pull) are crazy loud at full speed (and even on standard mode they are loud at idle).

Please advise.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Solution
This image shows my current air flow (it wouldn't let me use the "picture" option to add it directly to the post so I had to link it).

PSU has air straight in and out, it does not feed the PCs internal air flow at all.
All intakes are filtered (either with a 120mm filter over the front of the fan (added by me) or the filter that came with the case for the PSU and bottom fan).

Air flow through front 2 fans is around 30-40CFM (give or take the one slightly faster fan).
Top fans are somewhere between 30-47CFM each (one is controlled by CPU temperature (front one) and the other is on full power all the time)
Top fans came with...

Top fans came with the case
AIO fans are around 33-40CFM when CPU is under load and around 25-30CFM when idle.

I do have a spare 120MM LED fan - same spec as bottom fan - and an 80MM arctic F8 spare that could be used to convert to permanent positive pressure in the case if turning the AIO around is a better idea but I wanted advice from people as to the following:
a) Do I swap the AIO around?
b) Do I move the AIO to a top fan location instead of where it is to improve air flow and convert the rear fan to a standard exhaust?
c) If I turn the AIO around, should I add the 80mm below my DVD drive to increase flow into the case?

Please note, all CFM values are estimates based on a combination of max air flow specs and RPM - though the OEM blue LED ones are estimated air flow based on other listings as the listing I bought them from is no longer available to view on eBay.

Temperatures are on par with the evo 212 that got removed (case not big enough for it) and replaced by this cooler - except that when gaming, the NVME and motherboard temps are around 10 C higher than they were with the original setup (which I suspect is more to do with the change in air flow than anything else as I removed the 80mm from below DVD drive while i was installing this AIO).

Final note, I have 2 CPU fan headers but they both work in conjunction with each other in the BIOS so I have used my SYSFAN1 header for the CPU pump and set that to max all the time, but the CPU fan headers are set to temp controlled as silent config as the corsair fans (the AIO has push/pull) are crazy loud at full speed (and even on standard mode they are loud at idle).

Please advise.

Thanks in advance everyone.
That AIO at back should be reversed to be exhaust.

Solution

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
That AIO at back should be reversed to be exhaust.

I will do that but that will create a negative pressure in there which will lead to dust ingress through vents, etc too so do I add an extra fan in to push it back to positive pressure environment?

especially given that all the air flow at the bottom of the case is guided out from under the GPU as the GPU sits at the top of the two top front fans and covers all but about 1cm from back to HDD cage. My thought was the Arctic F8 I have spare being added below the DVD drive to give the top some proper air in.

I will do that but that will create a negative pressure in there which will lead to dust ingress through vents, etc too so do I add an extra fan in to push it back to positive pressure environment?

especially given that all the air flow at the bottom of the case is guided out from under the GPU as the GPU sits at the top of the two top front fans and covers all but about 1cm from back to HDD cage. My thought was the Arctic F8 I have spare being added below the DVD drive to give the top some proper air in.
I don't think so, you have enough intake fans and airflow is first concern. If you place that back one as intake all it's gonna do is circulate air in that corner.

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
I don't think so, you have enough intake fans and airflow is first concern. If you place that back one as intake all it's gonna do is circulate air in that corner.

I flipped the AIO around about an hour ago and can confirm there is zero difference in running temperatures between intake and exhaust setup of the AIO. Certainly not on the H55 model anyway - temps are still exactly the same as they were before I swapped it around. It was a prime95 test that confirmed this.

Thank you to all who replied to my post. It is much appreicated.