Air Force Unhappy With Removal of Linux from PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtown

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Looks like the US Air Force will have to create their own in house YLOD fix program...

Especially because they probably leave the cluster on all day.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
And if suing doesn't work, they can always bomb them into submission! JK, but now things start to get more serious for Sony. I wonder if they will take back that firmware upgrade...

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]dont they have power over this civilian company.... doesnt the airforce get special treatment?....[/citation]
No, since Sony is not a contract by the air force they have no control over what Sony does....although all that money is something that can influence them.
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]Surely GPU's can handle the sort of calculations PS3 do with far greater efficiency.[/citation]
The ps3 was the best item they had for this product (atleast at the time...keep in mind best also means for the price).
[citation][nom]digitalrazoe[/nom]I think Sony done ......off the wrong people....[/citation]
Agreed XD

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I missed the days of using YDL5.0 on my ps3. I remember feeling so sly and cool for figuring out on my own with the use of mplayer and my ancient unix command prompt skills to get divx files to work on ps3 via ydl5.0 during PS3's infancy and long before ps3 obtained divx file support.

Ahhhh good times.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
What PS3s fail? Hardly :p

But yeah, when Sony dismantled the Other OS feature, the only people I thought would be ...... were the USAF who bought the 2200 PS3s.

salsoolo

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
how about the usaf create something like folding@home, but for their military uses. and hundreds of people with powerfull video cards can increase their computing power? :p

Our military should have gone through the trouble of having a in house design and only then sourced the CELL cpus separately. Better keep the A/C on longer than normal at a lower temp and have skilled people on hand for repairs.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]And if suing doesn't work, they can always bomb them into submission![/citation]

that will never happen cuz sony doesn't have oil...

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Sony should make a blade server based on the chip. It would be more space efficient than a PS3 and probably energy efficient as well. They could make a profit off of it instead of a loss on PS3s users that aren't buying games (as with most cluster builders).

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
I would hope that Sony would realize that customers that want to cluster PS3's are just more customers. One could call it the industrial PS3 and have an alternate firmware. Given it's the USAF, why not? You can't buy that type of news about your console.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
If sony or toshiba were to offer cell blade based racks for cluster computing needs, each blade would be more than 10x the cost of a single PS3, which is why, even though there are no cell based blades that I know of, that the USAF purchased these cost effective consoles as a DIY computing cluster.

Status
Not open for further replies.