[SOLVED] Air or AIO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2019
Guys should I buy Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB or should I buy Scythe Fuma 2?
My CPU will be i7 9700K
My budget is around 70-80€

Last edited:
Solution
Recommendation over either of those two:

ML240R (skip the L version)
280mm AIO
360 AIO
Noctua NH-14/15
be quiet! Dark Rock 4/Pro
Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280

There are plenty out there on Tom's site as well as other sites. I do the cooling reviews for Tom's Hardware.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

280mm AIO
360 AIO
Noctua NH-14/15

There are plenty out there on Tom's site as well as other sites. I do the cooling reviews for Tom's Hardware.

Solution
Aug 20, 2019

280mm AIO
360 AIO
Noctua NH-14/15

And last question if I can ask is are all of those coolers good for overclocking?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Can you use Google to find the reviews on them or are you just hoping someone will do all the work and supply you with the answers?

What if someone (who didn't write cooling reviews for Tom's Hardware) gave you an answer that you went and spent your own money to buy, then come to find out they were wrong. What would you do then? Blame the person for the bad info or blame yourself for not cross-checking your information?

Nov 2, 2019
What is your price range?

Are there limitations in shipping of some products or sites?
His budget is around 70 - 80 euros(as said in the original post) for which i would recommend going for an air cooler as they are less likely to break down and sometimes are better than liquid coolers just look around on amazon dude you will find a lot of options

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
And last question if I can ask is are all of those coolers good for overclocking?

I would recommend a 280mm or 360mm AIO as the look nicer. They have very similar performance. Look at the Fractal S36, NZXT Kraken x62 and x72, Corsair H115i Pro and Corsair H150i Pro. They can handle overclocking as well =)

P.S Check out Gamers Nexus for coolers because he talks about the fan speeds (RPM), noise and temperatures very in depth

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's a bunch of catagories surrounding coolers, be it air or liquid. Looks, fit, need, capacity, quality are about the most important. Budget is almost meaningless as a quantification.

Air and aio are the same, as far as ability and capacity goes, in their respective ranges. A little 120mm aio is @ 140w capable, as is the hyper212. On the other end, the NH-D15 is about king of aircoolers, at 250w+, but is equitable to most 240mm aios in ability.

Then there's heat output. The 9700k with OC can top 200w, so the last cooler you'll want is one like the Scythe Fuma 2, at 200w. You'd be looking at very high temps with high cpu loads.

So what you'll need is the largest aircoolers, or a 240mm/280mm/360mm AIO, the bigger you can fit in the case, the better.

And that's where fit comes into play. Some cases won't fit a NH-D15, gpus can interfere, so a NH-D15S is a better choice. Cryorig R1 Universal fits far better than the Ultimate. Some cases won't fit a 280mm aio, but have spacing for a 240mm/360mm instead.

Which brings you to looks. Personally, I'm biased. I much prefer not only the look of the aio, but the software that controls them is far more versatile and adaptable to my tastes than what's available in bios or many motherboard software options. To me (I own both a nzxt x61 and a Cryorig R1 Ultimate) the aio seriously outperforms the aircooler. My i7 went from almost silent at 4.9GHz and 70°C to quite audible at 4.6GHz and 70°C. Even with the lowered OC and corresponding voltages.

So the end result is going to boil down to choices. What fits or doesn't. What looks better or worse. What performs better for your tastes or not. What can you live with.

Oct 12, 2019
Will a h115i fix in a phanteks evolve mini itx I read in the manual it can but looking at my setup now I cant see it being installed without hitting the ram sticks

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.