[SOLVED] Airflow help

zjv27145

Commendable
Dec 31, 2018
Hello. I currently have a Corsair carbide 275r and my setup is 2 intake fans at the front and one exhaust fan at the back. I am planning on getting an aio cooler, specifically the cooler master ml240r or ml360r. This is the setup I was planning.
Airflow
That is the case I have and I was just wondering if that made sense that way or to have a 240r at the top instead of a 360 at the front.

Thank you for any help.

Solution
Difference between a 240mm and a 360mm is capacity. A 240mm is rated @ 250w. A 360mm is rated closer to 350w.

Your cpu will be hard pressed with max OC to hit 130w. So a 240mm on top will be just fine.

As to airflow and gpu, that's dependent on the fans. Front mount aio in pull gets better airflow than just fans, the rad fans are closer to the gpu so can saturate it better. Front mount in push gets worse airflow than just fans as the radiator acts as a diffuser and you loose almost all static pressure.

CFM is the measure of how much air a fan can move, Static Pressure is the measure of how much air a fan can move. Considerable difference. Higher sp fans work better at intake, higher cfm fans at exhaust. Once you add a...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A)Supports a max of 240mm up top.
Depending on your cpu + gpu combo, it'll either be good, so-so, or a poor location for it.

B)Front: up to 360 or 280mm.
Just skip 360mm - the unit can't be maintained in that position with tubes up for as long as tubes down; you'll end up having to toss it out sooner due to noise and cavitation, as fluid permeates the tubes over time.
Do either 240/280, they should at least allow enough flexibility to run tubes down.
Fans positioned to pull air through the rad and into the chassis.

C)Does it have to be a hybrid cooler?
There's 170mm of clearance for a tower air cooler in there.

zjv27145

Commendable
Dec 31, 2018
Depending on your cpu + gpu combo, it'll either be good, so-so, or a poor location for it.

Just skip 360mm - the unit can't be maintained in that position with tubes up for as long as tubes down; you'll end up having to toss it out sooner due to noise and cavitation, as fluid permeates the tubes over time.
Do either 240/280, they should at least allow enough flexibility to run tubes down.

thank you for responding. I have an rtx 2060 super but I’m planning on upgrading to a 3070 ASAP and my cpu is a ryzen 7 3700x. I would just prefer an aio cooler I think because of the looks and I want one that’s quieter than what I have, even though I know there is probably quieter air coolers I just want an aio one. So you think getting a 240mm one and top mounting it would be best? With the 2 intake fans at the front and the one at the rear?

So, I also have a corsair carbide 275r. My set up isn't the best but it definitely works for what it is. I have a 360mm front mounted intake radiator, 1 rear exhaust fan and 2 top exhaust fans. My 3080 would get pretty toasty and the glass side panel doesn't do much good for thermals, but I found this configuration, while not the most efficient, does keep my thermals in good performance range.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Difference between a 240mm and a 360mm is capacity. A 240mm is rated @ 250w. A 360mm is rated closer to 350w.

Your cpu will be hard pressed with max OC to hit 130w. So a 240mm on top will be just fine.

As to airflow and gpu, that's dependent on the fans. Front mount aio in pull gets better airflow than just fans, the rad fans are closer to the gpu so can saturate it better. Front mount in push gets worse airflow than just fans as the radiator acts as a diffuser and you loose almost all static pressure.

CFM is the measure of how much air a fan can move, Static Pressure is the measure of how much air a fan can move. Considerable difference. Higher sp fans work better at intake, higher cfm fans at exhaust. Once you add a rad into the mix, gpu temps suffer because it gets less air fed directly to it.

But being a pure source of ambient air, cpu temps benefit.

It's a balancing act, but temps generally only swing a few degrees in either direction, and are only really generally noticeable under extreme loads.

Solution

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020

These are all good questions to order consider proper and effective cooling.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Start with the cpu. What it'll actually require to be effectively cooled. Then decide on air or liquid, either work (upto a point). Then choose a case that'll fit the cooling requirement. If you cannot find a case to suit your aesthetics, you'll need to adjust the cooling, use a 280mm instead of a 360mm or vice-versa or go with a shorter tower cooler that does the same job.

You need to be ok with your choices, but so does the cpu / gpu or it'll not take long before any pleasantries in your choices go out the window.

zjv27145

Commendable
Dec 31, 2018
Thank you guys for your input. Is it worth getting an aio? I want it to be pretty quiet. Does a push front mount 360mm with one fan at the top and one at the back sound like an effective solution? Currently my gpu does run a little hot but I’m looking to get one of the gpus that cools better than other cards.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Does a push front mount 360mm with one fan at the top and one at the back sound like an effective solution?
No. I already told you why a 360mm was a bad idea in that chassis.

Currently my gpu does run a little hot but I’m looking to get one of the gpus that cools better than other cards.
The reason for that highly lies with the chassis itself. Those near solid front panel designs are the nemesis of gpu thermals.

Thank you guys for your input. Is it worth getting an aio? I want it to be pretty quiet. Does a push front mount 360mm with one fan at the top and one at the back sound like an effective solution? Currently my gpu does run a little hot but I’m looking to get one of the gpus that cools better than other cards.

I don't have any HDDs in my setup, so I threw in a 360mm front intake. I find the space on the sides of the front panel are adequate enough (for me) to get enough air in through the front, then 2 top exhaust and 1 rear intake fans.
If you have HDDs the cages may be in the way.