[SOLVED] Airflow with Fractal Design Define S2 and NZXT Kraken X72 360mm

XavTheOne

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014
I'm building my first PC and was wondering how I should configure the NZXT Kraken X72 in the case for best airflow. I went with a bigger 360mm radiator that can fit in the front and the top. The case has 2 fans in the front and 1 in the back preinstalled, and the CPU cooler comes with 3 fans.

My thinking is that the CPU cooler fans and radiator should be used for intake rather than exhaust as they are probably more powerful and its important to get air in? I would then remove the 2 front fans and replace with radiator + 3 CPU fans. My issue with this is that the front panel is solid so seems the fans would have to work harder, and only having 1 fan at the back (+ "moduvent" mesh thingy at the top) would not be enough exhaust?

The other option I see is having the radiator and 3 CPU fans blowing air out the top in exhaust, leaving the preconfigured fans in place. My issue here is if the two front fans will provide enough intake and if blowing air out the top and back is an issue?

Any help much appreciated, feel like I'm in over my head here.

Solution
It's a Fractal Design Define S2.

I worry if i place the radiator at the top with exhaust fans it will be pushing hot hair into the radiator no? Would it not be better to have it in the front and pulling in cold air to the radiator? Even if the front is kinda closed
No, you would be blowing warm air over the rest of your components. Put 3 fans on the front as intake, the ventilation on the side is fine and will bring in a lot of cool air blowing over all your components. Put your radiator pushing warm air out of the top, heat rises anyways so it's the most efficient way of getting warm air away from your pc. 3 in vs 3 out within reason should balance the pressure.

Lutfij

Titan
Ideally you should mount the radiator in the front with the fans set to push or pull and as intakes for the chassis. If you mount it to the top, the fans can be in either push or pull but set to exhaust.

I'd ask you to stick to one set of fans. If you must go for the Fractal fans, if they aren't PWM, then there's no point in working with them. On another note, remove the front fans and replace with AIO's fans and AIO. The either work with replace the removed fans to top for exhaust or leave as is.

XavTheOne

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014
Ideally you should mount the radiator in the front with the fans set to push or pull and as intakes for the chassis. If you mount it to the top, the fans can be in either push or pull but set to exhaust.

I'd ask you to stick to one set of fans. If you must go for the Fractal fans, if they aren't PWM, then there's no point in working with them. On another note, remove the front fans and replace with AIO's fans and AIO. The either work with replace the removed fans to top for exhaust or leave as is.

OK, thanks for the answer.

The fractal fans seems to be Dynamic X2 GP-14 but not PWM, any way I can double check if it's PWM without finishing the build?

So if I remove all the fractal fans and place the radiator with 2 fans in the front so it pulls air in there, and place the last CPU fan in the back to push air out there, would that be enough/good airflow?

XavTheOne

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014

I worry if i place the radiator at the top with exhaust fans it will be pushing hot hair into the radiator no? Would it not be better to have it in the front and pulling in cold air to the radiator? Even if the front is kinda closed

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016

No, you would be blowing warm air over the rest of your components. Put 3 fans on the front as intake, the ventilation on the side is fine and will bring in a lot of cool air blowing over all your components. Put your radiator pushing warm air out of the top, heat rises anyways so it's the most efficient way of getting warm air away from your pc. 3 in vs 3 out within reason should balance the pressure.

Solution