[SOLVED] Airflow with top fan as intake?

TheTrekZMaster

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016
Hi guys!

I recently swapped my components from one case to a new one. Also added a Ryzen 3600x as a upgrade.

Now.. These ryzen 3000 series cpu's goes bananas in temperature (Goes up and down in temp with just idle).. I had a Ryzen 1600 before and the temps never reached 60 c while gaming. Now my Ryzen 3600x goes all the way up to almost 78 c while playing CSGO. I guess it's okay but it's a little too toasty for my taste. My GPU is also pretty toasty and reach 83 c while playing games like Mount and Blade II Bannerlord.

Now my case is an Aerocool Quatz RGB with a glass frontpanel (Glued onto the frame) with 3 intake fans and one exhaust, this case is not the best for airflow it seems. I had an old Zalman fan from my old case lying around, and for the fun of it i mounted it on top (close to the back off the case, so i don't take air from the CPU cooler) as an extra exhaust fan. It seems to help alittle, but the problem is still the bad airflow from the 3 intake fans.

Now to the point.. If i mount another case fan (Intake) up top, next to the new exhaust fan so i give my CPU cooler more "intake air" instead of only 3 intake in the front i would have 4.

Does that make "Turbulence" inside the case?

Hope you guys can help me with this.

Specs:

Cpu - Ryzen 3600x
Cooler - Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
MB - Asus Rog Strix B450-F Gaming
GPU - Gigabyte RTX 2060 Windforce Oc 6 GB
Case - Aerocool Quartz RGB

Solution
General observations and comments:

Warmer air rises and any airflows contrary to that natural flow are going to be counterproductive.

Pushing more into a case that can exhaust out is going to create pockets of hot air and probably in places where more heat is the last the thing you would want to have there.

Adjacent fans could just create their own little air loops that do nothing to benefit the overall cooling needed within the case. In one fan and right out the other.

Suggest that you take two or three internal photographs of your build and fans. Indicate which fans are intake and exhaust.

Change view points to show details and add clarity as needed.

Post photos accordingly...

Ralston18

Titan
General observations and comments:

Warmer air rises and any airflows contrary to that natural flow are going to be counterproductive.

Pushing more into a case that can exhaust out is going to create pockets of hot air and probably in places where more heat is the last the thing you would want to have there.

Adjacent fans could just create their own little air loops that do nothing to benefit the overall cooling needed within the case. In one fan and right out the other.

Suggest that you take two or three internal photographs of your build and fans. Indicate which fans are intake and exhaust.

Change view points to show details and add clarity as needed.

Post photos accordingly.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Seeing the internal layout will be helpful.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Now.. These ryzen 3000 series cpu's goes bananas in temperature (Goes up and down in temp with just idle).. I had a Ryzen 1600 before and the temps never reached 60 c while gaming. Now my Ryzen 3600x goes all the way up to almost 78 c while playing CSGO. I guess it's okay but it's a little too toasty for my taste.
Ryzen 3000 shouldn't be compared to Intel, and not even the older Ryzens, as it operates entirely different from them. What you are seeing is normal.

My GPU is also pretty toasty and reach 83 c while playing games like Mount and Blade II Bannerlord.
Those bad gpu temps are almost entirely caused by your case, with a small part caused by the psu shroud.
Those 'closed' front panel designs are the nemesis of gpu cooling.