Albatron Unveils GeForce 8-series Graphics Cards For PCI Slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
So they'll make an 8 series for PCI but not AGP? I'm really curious how much the PCI bus cripples these things. The benchmarks I've seen so far have the 8500 only slightly slower than the 8600, so I'm sure the PCI bus is really hurting them.

G

ROFL!! With the BUS limitations I'd be shocked if this card can do 30 fps at 640 X 480. I'd love to see some benchies just for the fun of it.

G

I hate to double post but just for everyone's information the PCI can only 133megs or 266 if it's 64 bit PCI (the 32 bit is much more comman). Not to mention it's sharded with the sound, network, and possibly some others, not USB though, that's serial.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
The problem with "ALOT of PCI slots" is that the bandwidth is shared between them all. So if one card can fully saturate the PCI bus, then you can have 1 card in each slot, but the total throughput for all the cards will remain the same. EZG, most modern motherboards have network, sound, etc running over PCI Express to the south bridge and the PCI bus is connected by itself directly to the south bridge giving full bandwidth to the PCI bus. That wouldnt matter in this case though as its still most likely too slow to matter.

Frast

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
These cards do have a purpose. They can be implemented in systems that need multiple monitor support for software like doctors who work at home with imaging data. Not everyone uses video for games! :)

G

@Frast

Yep... there's a sort of mini revolution going on in medical imaging... the bandwidth isn't as important since the FPS doesn't need to be perfectly smooth. They are using them like little supercomputers for parallel processing and simulations.

Since it's processor bound as opposed to IO bound (Typically not as many textures) it can be effective on the PCI bus. You made me remember this: http://www.rt-image.com/content=8204J05C485EA486405698764488A0441

G

Hi every one this is girish from india.I use an older intel 82845 motherboard with white pci slots . So,can anyone suggest me what nvidia graphic cards can i use . i really would love to use nvidia geforce 7 series. would that fit into my pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.