[SOLVED] Alder Lake or Zen 3?

Hi Everyone,

It's been a really long time but I'm back with some questions. I am looking to do a new build and I really don't know what to do CPU wise. For years AMD had been absent from the high-end CPU world, there really wasn't much reason to go with AMD when building a high end gaming computer. That all changed with Ryzen and AMD now has Intel on it's heels. Does one company really have an advantage at this point when comparing Alder Lake to Zen 3? Intel is supporting DDR5 and PCIE 5.0 with Alder Lake that isn't going to happen till next Gen with AMD. Intel is having that CPU Digital Rights Management problem which is causing some problems with games and I don't know if Intel is still taking a performance hit from the patches done to fix the spectre vulnerability. So for me it was always an easy choice of going with Intel for gaming but now I really don't know what to do.

Solution
What is the pc going to be used for?

My thoughts. DDR5 is not worth considering, apart from a few specific tasks it offers no tangible benefit over a good DDR4 setup. It looks to me it will be the same as prior generations and will need a couple of years to mature before higher speed and lower latency kits are commonly available at a reasonable price and until then it’s not worth investing in.

Why do we need pcie 5.0? Maybe a handful of specific storage scenarios will benefit. A lot of users won’t tell the difference between a good SATA SSD and the best pcie 4.0 drives. GPU’s don’t currently saturate 3.0 yet let alone 4.0.

So with this in mind I would strip these 2 points out of the comparison unless you have a specific need for...
What is the pc going to be used for?

My thoughts. DDR5 is not worth considering, apart from a few specific tasks it offers no tangible benefit over a good DDR4 setup. It looks to me it will be the same as prior generations and will need a couple of years to mature before higher speed and lower latency kits are commonly available at a reasonable price and until then it’s not worth investing in.

Why do we need pcie 5.0? Maybe a handful of specific storage scenarios will benefit. A lot of users won’t tell the difference between a good SATA SSD and the best pcie 4.0 drives. GPU’s don’t currently saturate 3.0 yet let alone 4.0.

So with this in mind I would strip these 2 points out of the comparison unless you have a specific need for either right now.

Solution