News Alder Lake's Big Cores Wallow at 3 GHz in New Benchmark

Still likely early engineering samples. But one of the problems with 3D stacking is heat dissipation. If Alder lake can't hit at least 4.5 with all cores, there's going to be serious issues against Zen 4.

As I said earlier, I think Alder Lake is mainly destined for laptops where power efficiency is hugely important when unplugged. It might be a closer game with AMD U series when plugged in.

Reactions: MarsISwaiting

Giroro

Splendid
I still maintain Alder Lake big/little is an absolutely abysmally bad idea for desktops. Best case, it's just going to be used as a deceptive marketing ploy to trick people into buying underperforming junk at inflated prices. Also it makes it a lot harder to accurately inform customers, which is really annoying. Is obvious their plan is basically to glue a netbook to an i3, then sell it at HEDT or at least 5950x prices. Even if all they do is scale it back to glue a smartphone to a Pentium and call it an i5, that's still a step backwards.

It might end up being the second worst idea Intel has had for desktop processors.

brianhojensorensen

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2015
I still maintain Alder Lake big/little is an absolutely abysmally bad idea for desktops.
It might end up being the second worst idea Intel has had for desktop processors.

Not so sure, at least for some use cases. I think it might be quite nice for my work pc. I'm doing quite a bit software development and system maintenance, and I often end up with 10+ terminals (yes it's on Linux), and a couple of browsers (for testing) with 10-20 tabs in each, where some of them are actually using some resources. Besides that I do also run some applications and scripts on the system itself, although most will be run on a server. So I do think that the combination of some smaller cores for background tasks combined with some bigger ones for the tasks that require a bit of muscle, could do very well. But I think it's too soon to tell.

thGe17

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
I still maintain Alder Lake big/little is an absolutely abysmally bad idea for desktops. ...
In general most likely misguided, for example think of the millions of office PCs.
Secondly irrelevant, becuase according to information available so far, there will be also X+0 versions, therefore nobody forces you to buy a desktop hybrid CPU.

Still likely early engineering samples. But one of the problems with 3D stacking is heat dissipation. If Alder lake can't hit at least 4.5 with all cores, there's going to be serious issues against Zen 4.

As I said earlier, I think Alder Lake is mainly destined for laptops where power efficiency is hugely important when unplugged. It might be a closer game with AMD U series when plugged in.
Currently it is unclear if ADL uses 3D Foveros at all. It may still be a planar CPU for desktops and maybe even for mobile chips.
3D Foveros may be only used for the very small models for the ultra-light market, but currently it is all speculation.
And no, ADL is destined for the complete consumer platform. It replaces CML and RKL, it replaces TGL and ICL and it also seems as if there will be small Atom-only versions (only Gracemont cores), which might also be labled as ADL, which might be feasible, because Golden Cove-only is ADL, Golden Cove + Gracemont is ADL, then why shouldn't be Gracemont-only not also be ADL?

A quick run of Battlefield 5 and Cinebench will tell the proverbial tale....; I personally place more emphasis on the former, but, perfectly understand that lots of people do actual work with their rigs... :)

I still maintain Alder Lake big/little is an absolutely abysmally bad idea for desktops. Best case, it's just going to be used as a deceptive marketing ploy to trick people into buying underperforming junk at inflated prices.
How is that supposed to work? People that care about multicore performance don't just buy 'number of cores' ,they look at MT scores and power draw.
If AL can get those MT scores then how is it going to be deceptive?!

Accurately informing customers is impossible anyway, if you look at the 5950x that you refer to, if you run all cores they only run at 70% of the single core potential (3.7 instead of 5Ghz) , if AL can have the bigger cores running at full speed even when all the cores including the smaller ones are loaded it will already be better for lots of scenarios.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1621...e-review-5950x-5900x-5800x-and-5700x-tested/8

Feb 24, 2021
In general most likely misguided, for example think of the millions of office PCs.
Secondly irrelevant, becuase according to information available so far, there will be also X+0 versions, therefore nobody forces you to buy a desktop hybrid CPU.

Office PCs ? they dont need big/little , just use lower voltage CPU to save energy at office .. and the X+0 version means Alderlake has nothing new to offer lol

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Office PCs ? they dont need big/little , just use lower voltage CPU to save energy at office .. and the X+0 version means Alderlake has nothing new to offer lol
The overwhelming reason any enthusiast would want Alder Lake is because of the Golden Cove cores which are estimated to have a 50% IPC uplift vs Sky Lake, which has nothing to do with the hybrid design. That would be twice the IPC gain as going from Sandy Bridge to Sky Lake. There's also DDR5 and PCIE 5. The hybrid aspect of Alder Lake is the least interesting new feature for enthusiasts, not the only relevant one.