Alfa awus036h drops connection after ten minutes of use

danielwebster21

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012
Been using an Alfa awus036h for 9 months with no issues. Starting today, it loses connection after being on for 10 minutes. The fix is I unplug it, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in. Then I get another 10 ten minutes of internet until it drops again.

Solution
That is a extremely outdated device. I will assume you have not had it for 10years. That is a symptom of failing chips many times.

Normally you could try newer drivers but if I remember correctly the last version of windows it supported was window 7.

That is a extremely outdated device. I will assume you have not had it for 10years. That is a symptom of failing chips many times.

Normally you could try newer drivers but if I remember correctly the last version of windows it supported was window 7.

Solution
I am very surprised people still buy that one. It is expensive compared to many of the modern ones. I suspect its price is still based on the costs when it was current technology and all wifi adapters cost a lot.

I suspect a lot of people are reading very old information. That adapter used to be very popular because of its ability to run in promiscuous mode and was one of the few that had external antenna. It basically trash now because it does not support the modern protocols.

The main issue is the sellers on amazon and ebay have very flashy advertising to sell old junk to people that do not have the knowledge to figure out what all the technical details really mean.

danielwebster21

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012
I was actually recommended it due to its compatibility with Kali Linux. But I abandoned my Linux project months ago, so I just kept using the adapter. Regardless, last night I went and picked up a Netgear AC1200. Wish this happened sooner, I was getting 40-60 mbps at best with the Alfa, and I'm now seeing 130-150 with the Netgear.