News Alibaba claims it will launch a server-grade RISC-V processor this year

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
No details about the XuanTie C930 core are public yet, except for some wild claims:
* Supposed SPECint 2006 performance of 15/GHz.
* Supposed compliance with the "RVA24" profile, on which work has hardly even started yet.

Reactions: artk2219

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Am I the only who read that as Alabama and was terrified for a minute?

Will be interesting to see what they come out with and if any software supports it. For now it has a whole lot to catch up to.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021

Will be interesting to see what they come out with and if any software supports it. For now it has a whole lot to catch up to.
Software support on the server side is fairly robust already. Most of the major languages support RISC-V as a target. Java or JVM based languages like Ruby or Java Script (NodeJs for example) not an issue, just install and run (C# support is currently in beta). C/C++ and Rust for example already have RISC-V target support on Linux, the software in many cases just needs to be recompiled. Popular server operating environments such as Kubernetes and Docker already support RISC-V.

RISC-V is behind in software support, but in truth for the server environment it's not that far behind.

Always had this crazy thought in my mind for an open source NAS/router.
Risk-V, open socket, choose your number of cores and speed
2-4 ram slots for large memory capacity.
4-8 bays, maybe NVMe and 2.5" SATA models
2 or more slots for off the shelf wifi cards for AP's
4+ LAN, minimum of 2.5G, maybe a couple of 10G, managed switch
TrueNas/Unraid + open source router/linux + other software in isolated containers/jails/vm's

and if made in bulk, reasonable prices for all the components, yes I can dream :unsure:

Apr 7, 2024
Software support on the server side is fairly robust already. Most of the major languages support RISC-V as a target. Java or JVM based languages like Ruby or Java Script (NodeJs for example) not an issue, just install and run (C# support is currently in beta). C/C++ and Rust for example already have RISC-V target support on Linux, the software in many cases just needs to be recompiled. Popular server operating environments such as Kubernetes and Docker already support RISC-V.

RISC-V is behind in software support, but in truth for the server environment it's not that far behind.
question, is risc v running well natively? Android OS only supports RISC V (but doesn't make much hardware yet) Docker only supports X86-86, Arm, PowerPC, IBM doesn't support RISC V yet

Apr 7, 2024

Does it work well natively, does the Android OS only support RISC V (the question is whether RISC V is good natively, RISC V uses the Android OS, the number of hardware is still limited. rather than Arm dominating)

Apr 7, 2024
Always had this crazy thought in my mind for an open source NAS/router.
Risk-V, open socket, choose your number of cores and speed
2-4 ram slots for large memory capacity.
4-8 bays, maybe NVMe and 2.5" SATA models
2 or more slots for off the shelf wifi cards for AP's
4+ LAN, minimum of 2.5G, maybe a couple of 10G, managed switch
TrueNas/Unraid + open source router/linux + other software in isolated containers/jails/vm's

and if made in bulk, reasonable prices for all the components, yes I can dream :unsure:
I dont, the risc v experience architecture is still relatively new compared to the arm architecture.

Apr 7, 2024
No details about the XuanTie C930 core are public yet, except for some wild claims:
* Supposed SPECint 2006 performance of 15/GHz.
* Supposed compliance with the "RVA24" profile, on which work has hardly even started yet.
I still don't know the performance, just try the product. Don't know which semiconductor is willing to produce it, will it use 7nm SMIC like the Kirin 9000S?

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
question, is risc v running well natively? Android OS only supports RISC V (but doesn't make much hardware yet) Docker only supports X86-86, Arm, PowerPC, IBM doesn't support RISC V yet
In the experiments we've done we not run into issues running content natively. Docker doesn't have official support for RISC V yet, but there are several projects that add support:

https://github.com/carlosedp/riscv-bringup#virtual-machine-and-pre-built-docker

and

https://github.com/carlosedp/riscv-bringup/blob/master/kubernetes/Readme.md

This is pretty much the same path ARM took until things like above got folded into official support.

Apr 7, 2024
Dalam eksperimen yang kami lakukan, kami tidak mengalami masalah dalam menjalankan konten secara asli. Docker belum memiliki dukungan resmi untuk RISC V, namun ada beberapa proyek yang menambahkan dukungan:

https://github.com/carlosedp/riscv-bringup#virtual-machine-and-pre-built-docker

Dan

https://github.com/carlosedp/riscv-bringup/blob/master/kubernetes/Readme.md

Ini adalah jalur yang hampir sama yang diambil ARM hingga hal-hal seperti di atas dimasukkan ke dalam dukungan resmi.
does Risc V run optimally docker. (Android, supports Risc V hardware. But it doesn't seem like much compared to the dominant hardware arm. Just try Qualcomm's Risc V hardware)