Question ALIENWARE 34 CURVED QD-OLED GAMING MONITOR - AW3423DW

Jul 10, 2022
So Newbie here and thanks in advance for the guidance.

Purchased the Alienware AW3423DW which is due next month. Looking to pair this on a new system which is running a Asus GeForce TUF Gaming RTX 3090 Ti OC 24GB.

Display port seems to be the way to go to take advantage of the setup however it appears that Dell only supply a Displayport 1.2 cable which appears to not allow everything to maxout to its full ability.

There are lots of different DP cables out there with different claims so a little lost as to which way to go. Is the Dell supplied 1.2 cable enough or can anyone suggest a better alternative?

Display port seems to be the way to go to take advantage of the setup however it appears that Dell only supply a Displayport 1.2 cable which appears to not allow everything to maxout to its full ability.
what is it that you want to take advantage of that you believe DP 1.2 doesn't support?

it can handle any higher refresh rates, G-Sync features, HDR, audio, and the 3440x1440 resolution with no problem.

maybe you have confused the DP 1.2 & HDMI 2.0 options available?

Jul 10, 2022
what is it that you want to take advantage of that you believe DP 1.2 doesn't support?

it can handle any higher refresh rates, G-Sync features, HDR, audio, and the 3440x1440 resolution with no problem.

maybe you have confused the DP 1.2 & HDMI 2.0 options available?

I want to use the DP over HDMI due to the Gsync capability and was under the impression the DP 1.2 would restrict back on refresh rate when compared to a DP1.4 or other - maybe ive got the 'wrong end of the stick on that'?

The monitor can support up to 175 Hz and just wanted to ensure the cables can support the hardware capabilities.

Thanks for the guidance on this.

I want to use the DP over HDMI due to the Gsync capability and was under the impression the DP 1.2 would restrict back on refresh rate when compared to a DP1.4 or other - maybe ive got the 'wrong end of the stick on that'?
DP 1.2 doesn't have enough bandwidth to do 3440x1440 @ 175Hz with 10bpc (assuming you wanted HDR on).

However the versioning on the cable is only what the cable is certified to work with. It does not mean it can't work with a higher version if the cable was overbuilt. I've got a few HDMI cables that were around before HDMI 2.0 was a thing and they work fine with HDMI 2.0 connections.

I have the same monitor and it came with a Displayport cable that can do 3440x1440 @ 144hz / 10-bit.

8pbEtZ2.png

The bandwidth is per lane, so 32.4 gigabit, which is Displayport 1.4/HBR3.