Alienware Admits Consoles Are Now Resembling PCs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

Yea, when it comes to emulation your spec numbers are not directly comparable. Usually to emulate a console game the PC would have to be close to twice as powerful as the console sometimes even more, the reason for this is the uniformity and unity the consoles have, they are so much more optimized since they only have 1 set of hardware so there is much less overhead. Not to mention software and hardware tricks used to get better performance that you can't do on the PC. Like someone else said even now with a top end PC you get lag on 360 and PS3 games and you think PS4 and XBoxOne games will be easily played on a PC soon?

Dugimodo

Distinguished
I'm happy to see more grown up looking devices that might actually work in a home entertainment cabinet personally. For me they could take it a step further and use standard Audio/ Video component design and dimensions. I fins I don't game much on my PS3 it's mainly a Blu-ray player.

I also don't know why they haven't added a decent E-mail and Browser to existing consoles with keyboard and mouse support. For a lot of families they could replace the PC altogther and be set up on a desk just like a PC. There's a lot of convergence and duplication of functions going on these days, it's likely at some point some devices will cease to exist as seperate hardware and just have their functions incorporated elsewhere.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002

Considering most consoles run at around half the resolution as well and sometimes half the frame rate most pc games use, not really impressed with your defense. Also, traditional emulation has not been a problem of 'optimized hardware' it was due to the fact that you are running a platform on an entirely separate architecture while dealing with absolutely no documentation.

1280x720 = 921,600 <--- Consoles use this.
1680x1050 = 1,764,000 <---- PC's commonly use this
1920x1080 = 2,073,600 <---- modern pc's/television

To those complaining about emulation:

You don't need to emulate if you are on the same architecture; you build an OS-level wrapper like Wine. The game still executes standard x86 code, but sees a PS4/X1 window frame etc.

There's a reason Windows app can be installed on linux with a relatively small performance loss. Doing the same with ARM is a lot harder without recompiling (which can't be done if it's closed source).

1zacster

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012

What? Very few games are exclusive to console. Even then, do you even know why consoles are so hard to emulate? optimization? nope! because consoles use different processor architectures. With these new consoles being (for all intensive purposes) off the shelf parts soldered to a motherboard one hacked, they will be extremely easy to emulate. "Easy" meaning to develop an emulator, it will take time to crack all the security features. The Xbone rune windows damnit! its not like they are revolutionizing how games are processed.

1zacster

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012

+1, though the security features will take time to get around. (connect to servers, authentication etc)

Quote - "The gaming business is getting ready to explode, and you're going to be a part of it. It's almost like that first 3DFX card and Quake all over again…" - End Quote.

I doubt it will be that big, but id be more than happy if we get quality games, with the grapics that PCs actually can handle nowdays.

RedundantInk

Sep 15, 2012

I don't think I've ever spent more than $1000 on PC parts at any given time and excluding the cost of a display, you can get a perfectly capable gaming pc for around the price of the Xbox One. Might I ask what you plan on spending $3,100 on? Beyond $1,500, you will be taking serious hits to your price to performance ratio

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
doesn't anyone remember that the original XBox... you know... Xbox 1... was a Pentium 3 with Nvidia graphics and a Windows 2000 based OS? how is that any different than what they are doing now? The only reason Microsoft went with the IBM Cell processor for the 360 was because of cost reasons.

Sorry, updated my post, I originally put Linux OS because both of mine ended up with that on it ;)

Dry

ajl2011shooter

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Soon as I can game across #3 screens with a console I'll think about it but until then i'm PC all the way. PC is just a much better experience. I have a 7 and 8 year old they have totally left the console behind and I have to fight them to use my PC.

myst777

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
this whole article as every other one misses a key point.

The future is in high res. end of story. GPU's that before were just [removed] that are actually being used to utilize 1440p screens. Once you have seen gaming on that res you wont go back. Give it 2 years on and 4k monitors and tvs will be cheap enough for everyone to buy and guess what- the xbox will still be on less res than 1080 and the ps4 wont be much better!! Yet the PC will play the games at these super resoloutions

We haven't been able to see the true difference of what pc's can do with the same type of game as res has been relatively similar between the consoles and pc's, yes games are ported back, but even still when you add detail that is when you notice the difference- PC's add detail! as much as it can!!

Watch the language. - G

1zacster

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012

they would never allow that. They tried it with halo 3 and pc gamers destroyed console gamers. You just can't be as precise with a joystick.

Status
Not open for further replies.