Alienware Aurora ALX custom build

Dugi_Howser

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Hello,
I just recently took on building my own PC for the first time. I always wanted an Alienware for the love of their cases but the expense was to much. So I found myself a Aurora ALX case on ebay and bought it =) But, before I start buying my parts I was wondering if anyone who owns one ever updated theirs and/or had any issues? I'm also concerned with the lighting and active venting on how will they operate once i replace the mobo and MIO board and install a Corsair Digital Link since I plan on installing the H80 hydro cooler. Will this be compatible with the lights and venting in the case? Is there another way? I've read on other sites that its difficult once the mobo is replaced by another.

Thank you for your help in advance..

vTL123

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Hi there... and welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Anyway, yes I do own the Alienware Aurora (non-ALX), and have swapped out many of the things.

The Corsair Digital link is not compatible with the Active vents or the lights.

From what I can remember, the entire MIO board (Small-ish board under the Optical bay) is connected to a secondary IO board (Small strip board where the PCI lights are connected to) which is then connected through a 3pin fan connector to the motherboard. Somehow this small connector interacts between the Motherboard_CPU_fan header and the IO board. So no, I doubt it will even work with a different motherboard as I don't think the CPU_fan header is configured to send out signals apart from to control a fan.

I hope that made sense :)

Also the Lights and Vents require the MIO board in order to work.

Dugi_Howser

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Thank you for your help, however I did read on a dell forum that you can swap out a motherboard but you have to re-integrate the MIO board. Any idea what are the steps in doing this?

arcfire_44

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Hi there... and welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Anyway, yes I do own the Alienware Aurora (non-ALX), and have swapped out many of the things.

The Corsair Digital link is not compatible with the Active vents or the lights.

From what I can remember, the entire MIO board (Small-ish board under the Optical bay) is connected to a secondary IO board (Small strip board where the PCI lights are connected to) which is then connected through a 3pin fan connector to the motherboard. Somehow this small connector interacts between the Motherboard_CPU_fan header and the IO board. So no, I doubt it will even work with a different motherboard as I don't think the CPU_fan header is configured to send out signals apart from to control a fan.

I hope that made sense :)

Also the Lights and Vents require the MIO board in order to work.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19439601.aspx here is all the knowhow doing this, it has it's problems but it can be done :)