News Alienware Aurora Gets Redesigned for Company’s 25th Anniversary

Considering that the current R10/11/12 units already use a standard atx psu(albeit with shorter cables) and a standard form factor m-atx board(but with proprietary front panel header), this new on is looking less standardized with a extended m-atx board and 4 pin and 8 pin psu connection rather then the current 24 atx connection. Perhaps this is another 12v psu attempt(doesn't look like intels 12VO standard)with the 3.3v and 5v rails being converted on the board.
Overall, it looks to be a step backwards in standardization, but the cooling does certainly seem to be better at the very least.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
It’s a start but we’ll have to wait for more specifics and wait for thermals. They needed to do something because the current design is just awful for thermals and upgradability. The other question is, will the redesign allow for full length cards? Inquiring minds want to know.

Grindathotte

Commendable
Jun 18, 2021
The other question is, will the redesign allow for full length cards? Inquiring minds want to know.
You beat me to it. I made the mistake of buying an Aurora R7, thinking I could upgrade the graphics. Getting your hands on an RTX 3080 of any form is almost impossible; the fact that there is only one that will fit (that I know of) means a new machine is the only option.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
That guy is one of my least favorite reviewers. I trust him the least. I don't know if you'd take my advice but I own an R11 and it works great. I don't have major sound or heat issues at all, but mine is the liquid cooled version with the 3090.

I've been building computers since 1992 and I'm enterprise architect for a Fortune 100.

Giroro

Splendid
Putting a side panel on the computer is a big risk for dell.
Dell parts are some of the ugliest, cheapest, impossible-to-upgrade-iest computer parts ever conceived by man.
If they want to bring something even slightly presentable to the table, they would need to do a clean sheet redesign of not just the case, but every part and card in the computer, with the exception of the bare CPU.

"Alienware uses a custom board, with power connections placed at the edges for cleaner cable management and better airflow. Alienware claims this allows the front ports to connect to the processor without a daughterboard,"

Based on Dells current terrible designs, this sounds like more of the same. So what can we infer here?
  • The motherboard is non-standard and impossible to use in a different case.
  • The case is non standard and impossible to use with a different motherboard.
  • The power supply is non-standard is impossible to replace with a normal power supply due to size and mobo compatibility.
  • They're probably still using a nonstandard CPU cooler that screws directly into the case with nonstandard screw spacing that can't be replaced with a normal one, etc etc.
In other words, I'm expecting the Delliest Dell to ever Dell, but maybe they spray-painted the inside black this time.

Oct 15, 2021
You beat me to it. I made the mistake of buying an Aurora R7, thinking I could upgrade the graphics. Getting your hands on an RTX 3080 of any form is almost impossible; the fact that there is only one that will fit (that I know of) means a new machine is the only option.

I have an R7 bought new some years back and put in a EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti fits perfect. Maybe you have this card already and you're talking about not being able to upgrade.

a 3080/3090 is totally overkill right now imo if you can get one, and the price. i'll keep the 2080Ti all day. It handles everything out there.. Some 3080's will fit in the R7 . I would want a 3090 anyway.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/bd-p/Alienware-desktops (some threads on people putting in 3080's not sure the brands though)

I was hoping these would be out by now. I have to take another look maybe they are. These would work in the R7

(Basically one paragraph)

"We have even more GeForce RTX 30-series graphics cards in the works, including a handy Turbo design that exhausts hot air directly from cases. It’s perfect for small-form-factor builds or enclosures that can use a helping hand in keeping system temperatures in check. Stay tuned."