Review Alienware Aurora R16 Review: Thinking Inside the Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
It’s honestly pretty solid as long as you have it under a desk, or have noise cancelling headphones for playing.

I actually really like the normal look to be honest.
It's good on paper (well, except for the noise for an almost $2000 PC!)) and then in a couple of years, you crash into the infamous Dell Wall!!

You know, where everything is proprietary and will cost you a kidney (or enough for a new PC) to upgrade using Dell parts.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
It's good on paper (well, except for the noise for an almost $2000 PC!)) and then in a couple of years, you crash into the infamous Dell Wall!!

You know, where everything is proprietary and will cost you a kidney (or enough for a new PC) to upgrade using Dell parts.
Their replacement parts aren’t that bad, and I know they have support at least for 7 years to be honest, I’ve bought some decent replacement parts on laptops for OK prices.

GPUs aside though, that’s a special case.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Run and Run far away from anything alienware its over priced garbage ..
because thats all you can do with it in the end throw it in the garbage !!

I recommend building your own PC there are literally 1000s of videos on youtube on how to or buying a decent prebuild with parts you can upgrade !!

I had a aurora r7 got to a point where all i could do is sell it or throw it away because i could only at best upgrade fans and certain gpu's everything else was proprietary parts forcing you with no upgradability !!!

Aug 19, 2023
The Alienware Aurora R16 is in a smaller, more streamlined box with plenty of ports and a decent price, but proprietary parts keep it from being an entry into true enthusiast PC gaming.

Alienware Aurora R16 Review: Thinking Inside the Box : Read more
I already ordered the Aurora R16 but finally cancelled because of the proprietary parts after reading some reviews. For me its fine to have a prebuild but I want tohave the possibility to repair or change my computer in the future.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
I already ordered the Aurora R16 but finally cancelled because of the proprietary parts after reading some reviews. For me its fine to have a prebuild but I want tohave the possibility to repair or change my computer in the future.
not sure where your located but im sure there are some reputable pc shops that do custom builds with upgradable parts if you lack confidence in building your own ( not a dig but i see some peoples fears and understand it )

Oct 7, 2023
I have been in the IT industry for 35 years and I have ALWAYS built my own machine. I honestly really kept in touch with all hardware and parts etc., researching the best and midrange and research all all that. However, at the ripe age I am now I just can't be bothered with piecing together another PC that essentially might work for the next 5 years well, but it's a pain. This time around I wanted something more small form factor and the R16 actually is a nice machine. It is optimized well and it's also visually appealing fast and quiet. It does gaming well. True: in a few years the video card might have to be changed and well that might be an issue. I figured as long as I get 2 or 3 good years out of a machine the price might be worth it.

for under 2G's this machine is pretty decent and upgrading to a 4080 or 90 should not be an issue. I have had a lenovo p70 Zeon laptop 17+ inch 3840x2160 for 5 years and it runs as good as the day I got it. It''s perfect. So what is the downside. Well for me I don't have space requirements and I only play one game at a time that I like. A terabyte for me will last me a lifetime. This machine is actually incredible and I did not even have to build the damn thing.

That matched with a Gigabyte M32U display, a NULEA trackball mouse, Viper Keyboard and Tactile Headset from corsair is incredible. Just wanted to give my 2cents and maybe that is what it is worth, but that machine is excellent.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
I can build the same config with better and upgradeable parts, include a monitor, and I'd still have about $50 left for chewing gum.

dmylrea

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
I can build the same config with better and upgradeable parts, include a monitor, and I'd still have about $50 left for chewing gum.
Ever wonder why going to a restaurant costs more than going to the store, shopping for your food, taking it home, prepping the ingredients, cooking the meal and cleaning up afterwards? It's called convenience. You're opinion isn't some new, novel concept -- you CAN build it yourself if you wish. Many don't want to or can't. Life is full of prebuilt items that (guess what?) cost MORE than DIY. Prebuilt isn't for you.

Reactions: Order 66

dmylrea

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
I never understand why reviewers and users assume that a prebuilt name-brand PC should be 100% upgradable with off-the-shelf parts? You can upgrade RAM, SSD, GPU, add more ports via cards, etc. You can't go buy a different brand MB or PS and fit it in? Why would you assume you could? Let's cap on Lexus for using a proprietary engine in their cars. Look at Apple -- you can't do a SINGLE THING to upgrade their Macs. Not RAM. Not SSD. Not GPU. Nothing. You can get parts after-warranty from Dell, and MAYBE even get the next gen MB if Dell keeps the chassis the same. After years go by and you want to upgrade, you're going to want a new PC that handles next-gen RAM, SSD, and GPU anyways. All you'd have left original is the case! Big deal. Stop complaining.

Reactions: vmarinx

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Ever wonder why going to a restaurant costs more than going to the store, shopping for your food, taking it home, prepping the ingredients, cooking the meal and cleaning up afterwards? It's called convenience. You're opinion isn't some new, novel concept -- you CAN build it yourself if you wish. Many don't want to or can't. Life is full of prebuilt items that (guess what?) cost MORE than DIY. Prebuilt isn't for you.
Comparing a completely different experience of going to a restaurant and enjoying a meal prepared by someone who probably knows how to cook better (or different than you), plus the different ambient, to building a PC that's going to have the same result if you or someone else builds it...

If you don't have the time to build it yourself, then buy the parts and hire a "chef" to "cook" it for you, which is going to cost you a lot less than a prebuilt and it's not going to have proprietary e-waste.

vmarinx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2016
another benefit I see with OEM is the availability of parts abnd pricing for those who enjoy employee discounts on top of current deals like black friday or boxing day

Status
Not open for further replies.