Question Alienware Aurora R7

Feb 20, 2023
Hi there, I have the R7 stock pc with the Alienware mobo and an i5 8400 and stock Dell cooler, I wish to upgrade to a 120mm AIO water cooler, however im confused, wherever i look on the Dell forum i see similar posts and contradictions throughout.
My mobo features a front fan connector, top fan connector, cpu fan connector and a Pump socket connection, ive read everywhere there are issues with Bios errors when installing Water coolers in this machine.
I was hoping someone can lay this to rest for me once and for all by suggesting to me or pointing me in the right direction of a 120mm AIO that will work without issues and where it should be connected, many ive looked at only have 1 wire with a connector, heres hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you're on an aircooler that came with the prebuilt out of the factory, it's the best solution for a 65W TDP processor + you're better off that way since an 120mm AIO is not worth all the running around with that prebuilt. In fact, Dell has been known to make any form of modding by an end user hard(in their hopes to prevent tampering and false RMA/refund claims).

wherever i look on the Dell forum i see similar posts and contradictions throughout.
Might want to list all the threads you've read in case we're not seeing the same thing as you've already seen.

Feb 20, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you're on an aircooler that came with the prebuilt out of the factory, it's the best solution for a 65W TDP processor + you're better off that way

Hi thanks for replying, Dell themselves recommend the corsair H60, the non rgb version, which is old and now hard to source, but as the sytem was designed for Alienware watercooling and indeed has plenty of space inside the case to fit the water cooler id have thought there would be plenty available, they did indeed hint at watercooling originally then dissapointed by shipping with a noisy cpu fan that isnt the best on an i5 8400.
So with that in mind and remembering that the powersupply sits right over the cpu socket, might there be another option, maybe a very good low profile air cooler that would be better than the Dell one?, im not even sure how much space you have to fit a cooler, but it is cramped in there if resorting to air coolers.