[SOLVED] Alienware Aurora vs. Cyberpower PC

jeff5

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I've bought or built a new PC. I had built my own in the past, but with kids, job, etc., time is not on my side =D. I can do it again, but prefer not to.

My current PC is an old Alienware X51 R3. It has been a nice little PC, but is lacking in the ability to upgrade. I'm considering another Alienware or a Cyberpower. My hesitation with Alienware is upgrade ability and that I don't know what they use for components like the motherboard, power supply ,etc. Why I am considering them is reliability, reputation and support. (My current PC has been rock solid)

With Cyberpower, I know what components I am putting into it (ASUS mother board, corsair RAM, etc.) and can spec it out how I want. However, I am a bit leery of build quality based on some things I've heard. I've also heard that support is horrible. I can troubleshoot and fix many things on a PC, so I am not terribly concerned about support, but still I don't want to get a lemon and be left out in the cold.

I'd love everyone's thoughts on this and helping me make a decision. Or maybe there is another builder option I am not considering. I have specced out Digital Storm, Xotic, Falcon, and a few others, and all come out way more than Cyberpower or Alienware. I'm also considering Alienware for the financing. I can pay for it all now, but 12 months no interest is a good perk and it is nice to spread out the payments. Cyberpower has Affirm but it is not that good.

Thanks,
Jeff

Solution
Places like Falcon cost more because you get a better product.

I think given that you do have the technical ability to tinker with your PC, if the choice is between a Cyberpower or an Alienware, the Cyberpower is the better idea. Warranty will cover an actual lemon and if they do a bad job mounting something or connecting something, you ought to be able to troubleshoot that. With the ability to upgrade, the difficulty of upgrading is a pretty big deal, in my view.

I'd also still consider building. It's really only a single afternoon and you'll get exactly the PC you want. If you're worried about parts failing long-term, it's better to build your own because for most parts, the warranty is given to Cyberpower not you...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Places like Falcon cost more because you get a better product.

I think given that you do have the technical ability to tinker with your PC, if the choice is between a Cyberpower or an Alienware, the Cyberpower is the better idea. Warranty will cover an actual lemon and if they do a bad job mounting something or connecting something, you ought to be able to troubleshoot that. With the ability to upgrade, the difficulty of upgrading is a pretty big deal, in my view.

I'd also still consider building. It's really only a single afternoon and you'll get exactly the PC you want. If you're worried about parts failing long-term, it's better to build your own because for most parts, the warranty is given to Cyberpower not you and many of your parts will no longer have a warranty as soon as your warranty with Cyberpower ends. There are exceptions -- EVGA and MSI tend to be very liberal here.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Look closely into the "warranty" terms of the CyberPower. Very closely.

https://support.cyberpowerpc.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015700333

"Warranty Coverage - Company warrants to the original purchaser that the Product(s) shall be free of any defect in material or workmanship for a period of one year for labor and one year for parts from the date of the original invoice with the exception of Costco. "

"You must ship the product shipping charges prepaid, and insure the shipment or accept the risk of loss or damage during shipment. "

jeff5

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Thanks guys, appreciate the feeddback. I am considering Digital Storm now too. They are more expensive than either Alienware or Cyberpower, but not as expensive as say Falcon Northwest. They also seem to have a great reputation.