Alienware Calls Dibs on World's Fastest 15-inch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TFBundy

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Shitty video cards: Mobile 260GTX is just a re:badged desktop 9800GT (what's the point of even having 1GB on that), a 240GT is a desktop 9600GSO, this will offer craperiffic gaming performance. I can't believe no one has sued nVidia for misleading advertising with their naming shenanigans. It's getting beyond ridiculous, their 2xx mobile series has nothing to do with the desktop 2xx series; in fact their M280GTX (mobile) is a 9800GTX. So, what's this "gaming" laptop fastest at; doing spreadsheets?

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I bet the Alienware runs hot in Iraq.Plus if you carry it in your backpack, does that give you enhanced protection against rocket fire?If you play COD4 is it a bit like me playing "Office Simulator"?[/citation

I'll give you a thumb up for being funny, and no, it doesn't protect me against rockets although one time we were getting attacked and I raised the Laptop over my head and when they saw the alien head they got scared and took of running.....;)

Actually I don’t own an Alienware, I have an old gamming laptop that has kept me happy for a long time. Time for an upgrade.

Also we have being in war(conflict) for 6 years now, so we have AC on the office and the rooms. Except when they go out (all the time by the way) then indoors could rise to over 105 F then I don't use the computer until it gets fix. And there is a lot more action on CoD4 than on "Office Simulator" except on the part that "Steve" walk in on the morning carrying coffee and doughnuts that’s pretty exiting I'll guess.

Expensive gamming laptops are great for who has some extra cash and travel. But a Desktop will always be a better choice considering budget and upgradeability.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
You know, if you're going to put that much horsepower into a gaming laptop, then why not go for a 17" model? 15" just seems a bit on the small side for any serious gaming (which this puppy is clearly designed for).

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
This is not the worlds fastest period but maybe on a 15" model it is and only because of its CPU because that crappy 260M is not help. I have last years m15x with 9800GTX and other than the i7 mobile CPU I don't see any advantage to this new model. For all the whiney people talking about how you need a 17" to "game".., uh yea, there is a 17" model, its the m17x and it offers the 280M GPU even in SLI although I have heard on that model you can't get the i7??? The m15x is still a good gamer with a single mobile 9800gtx and if you need to make it run for hours and hours on regular work, put it in stealth mode, boot into the built in video and add a bay battery and it will run for at least 6 to 7 hours, more if you dim the screen.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]pito[/nom]I'll give you a thumb up for being funny, and no, it doesn't protect me against rockets although one time we were getting attacked and I raised the Laptop over my head and when they saw the alien head they got scared and took of running.....Actually I don’t own an Alienware, I have an old gamming laptop that has kept me happy for a long time. Time for an upgrade. Also we have being in war(conflict) for 6 years now, so we have AC on the office and the rooms. Except when they go out (all the time by the way) then indoors could rise to over 105 F then I don't use the computer until it gets fix. And there is a lot more action on CoD4 than on "Office Simulator" except on the part that "Steve" walk in on the morning carrying coffee and doughnuts that’s pretty exiting I'll guess.Expensive gamming laptops are great for who has some extra cash and travel. But a Desktop will always be a better choice considering budget and upgradeability.[/citation]
I'll give you a +1 cos I can't give you a +999999. People can argue the political rights and wrongs of the war in Iraq for the next thousand years but the guys who actually do the fighting, you have balls of steel and deserve to be called heroes. You guys fight so that we don't have to and we can enjoy the freedoms we take for granted. I'm English not American and I have friends over in Iraq and Afghanistan, when they meet local kids they don't hand out gum or chocolate they hand out paper and pencils and 2nd hand books.

For ordinary users this Alienware laptop is way too expensive to be practical, but for the guys putting their lives on the line out in the sand, I think the Government should pony one up to every soldier as part of your basic kit.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]I really wonder how much alienware pays to tomshardware for this news. they don't even make anykind of notebooks. this M15x is made by quanta. They only sell it overpriced with a crappy design.[/citation]
Yes and the company is also now owned by Dell, tell us something we don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.