Alienware m15x: True Gaming Portability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

portable laptops can never be gaming PC.

what's portable?
small laptops that can be easily put onto trail table.
hand hold device that can be easily carried around and have at least 5 hours of battery life.

what's a gaming PC?
a PC that can handle all game you throw at it
a PC that can provide constant performance, not 2/3 performance when on battery mode

so you see, there is no such thing as gaming laptops, all you going to get is a half way house where it's neither really a laptop (in sense that it sucks at battery life and weights a ton) and isn't really a gaming PC (in a sense that it won't perform and doesn't allow easy upgrade of graphics card)

best solution for university students is like what i've done: a beast of a gaming PC, and an iPhone for portable entertainment. (or Asus EEE, MSI Wind, etc)
PC's go outdated very fast, so just sell the uni. PC when moving away.

fudgeboy

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
unfortunatly unlike you're situation, there is people out there who have to move around ALL the time. i have a family member in the australian defence force who has a mid-end gaming laptop. sure he cant have the settings turned up all the way but the important fact is he still has something to play games on. thats what the gaming laptop is here for. two different things - gaming laptop - gaming pc. now STFU and GTFO my internets =D (kidding)

tim851

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
what's portable?
small laptops that can be easily put onto trail table.
hand hold device that can be easily carried around and have at least 5 hours of battery life.

Who made you king and let you decide what portable means?

bobwya

May 21, 2005
+1 jeb seconded!!

I got out my old 15" Pro-star (Clevo) P4 heater/laptop on the train earlier this summer. The guy across from me had a 13" Mac with a newer processor, etc. Boy was I embarrassed since my laptop looked like a chunky breeze block compared to his!!

But really if you want a gaming laptop you are going to get something similar to my old laptop more akin to a portable PC (I mean 4kg+ of heft, etc. is not for the feint of heart!!) This won't change until fuel cell technology becomes mainstream...

Personally my next machine will be a lightweight laptop with a 15" or smaller screen. As long as it can playback 720p x264!!

Bob

G

what's with these tiny pictures, I can barely see anything

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]I think I'll opt for the Sager NP8660 15" model. Much more bang for your buck.[/citation]

I second this.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
A score of around 13,400 in 3dmark06?
What a joke. With my q6600 @ 3.0 and an HD3870 I get a little bit lower than that at around 13,000. I wonder how much more that laptop costs.

Unless you have money to blow and/or the need to be extremely mobile just get a desktop computer. Hopefully you will build it yourself, but even buying a high end desktop would be a better deal than getting these kinds of laptops. I know too many people who think they need a laptop, and it just sits at their desk anyways.

ereetos

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Mach5Motorsport[/nom]I'm waiting for Tuan to hype the Mac Airbook Gaming Laptop as superior in his next insightful article on toms. [/citation]

LOOOOL

hey at least he fessed up to most of the comments. It was a great (comedy wise) week for articles here on toms :)

i know i had a good chuckle at work readin comments

liubros

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
with Q6600 OC to 3.0, and GTX280, I got 15000+ 3DMark06 scores. feel bad for people who need to spend 4k+ for a gaming laptop

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
[citation][nom]ereetos[/nom]LOOOOLhey at least he fessed up to most of the comments. It was a great (comedy wise) week for articles here on toms i know i had a good chuckle at work readin comments[/citation]

He did? Must have been lost in the sea of feedback. Any reply I saw was him attempting to rebut (in a glorious lost cause) most critical comments. I didn't see a reply by him after page 25.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
PUMA design is still better with external gaming GPU. You dont need SLI during typing or browsing mode, its a waste of battery. PUMA is more practical in design.

bobwya

May 21, 2005
[citation][nom]RAVENWARE[/nom]"Looks like it’s time to give mom and dad a call..."Looks like a little brat needs to get a job...[/citation]

Or more like "Time to max out those credit cards... !! "

Bob

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
$4000 is out of my price range, and I haven't got "parents to call." Even if I did I'd feel a bit ashamed asking mom and dad for that kind of cash. I wouldn't want to be a spoiled brat or anything.

bobwya

May 21, 2005
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom] ... I wouldn't want to be a spoiled brat or anything.[/citation]

Depends whether your mom and dad is Mr & Mrs Hilton or not I guess!! :crazy:

Bob

G

totally agree with liubros here. that kind of performance is what gaming machines should get! (have my £400 right here to upgrade my 8800GTX when gtx280+ or 4870x2 comes out)

people on the move all the time? isn't there something called a CAR?
i go home every holiday from university, and i bring my gaming rig home every time, now i've also moved my gaming rig to summer placement (internship for Americans) all done using a car! they are great creations to move heavy objects ;)

so for those who like idea of gaming laptop, tell me this:
you are stuck without any way of charging for 5 hours, what do you do with the brick?

i only carry an iPhone around when travelling. its got 4 pages of game, 10 hours of video and gameplay/wi-fi time of 6hr+, so i think i'll be happily occupied without being weighted down. and at destination (say to stay for a week) i still have internet access and enough games to last until i get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.